Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IA
City
DUBUQUE
if i p**** anyone off, because it looks like you folks get ALOT of questions about mnd/als symptoms, that are probably silly.

i will start off by saying that i am very uneducated about als/mnd...and the only reason why i found this forum is because i googled my symptoms. (stupid, i know).

im 30 years old, female fairly good health, high stress levels and a bit of anxiety. single/no kids.

my symptoms started about 2 months ago. bodywide twitching /fasciculations (sp?)... all over. eyes, arms, hands, feet, lets etc. it feels like popcorn popping under my skin.

now, %70 of the twitching is in my legs (calfs and thighs).

also, over the last 2 weeks...my calf muscles feel "tight" or "stiff". i can't really call it pain, it just seems like it wants to cramp up but it doesnt'. this happens on and off a couple times a day.

other then that i have no weakness, no atrophy (that i can see), and no other symptoms.

i went to my primary care dr, and saw the neurologist, who both say this is stress and anxiety induced and prescribed me ativan when needed. the neuro. was VERY convinced and confident that its "No way als". she said further testing such as emg/mri/nerve tests etc are definetly not necessary.

i know i sould believe my drs. but it's always good to hear form people who have or are going thru it. any ideas> does this sound like the start of als/mnd?

thank you for your time
-maureen

I forgot to add, that even though my drs' have given me the "all clear" based on exam... i still have nagging thoughts of this fear because ive read terrible things on the internet from neuros, other drs, patients, random people etc.

hi maureen . . Sorry to hear that you worried maybe this will be of some comfort . . The first thing is that you are young as regards als . . Not totally unheard of but unlikely . . Secondly fasciculations that are widespread points away from als . . Als usually has a trait of progressive weakness in a certain area which is followed by the twitching and atrophy its uncommon to be the opening symptom . . Thirdly and most importantly . . Your doc has expressed how unlikely als would be . . This dont forget is a person that has gone through rigerous medical training to practice medicine . . Believe them cos they know more with you in front of them them a computer that cant see you and examine you . . And last . . Dont fixate on als . . The list of possible reasons that is happening is huge and 99 % are harmless . . Anxiety is a powerful thing . . Trust me i know . I gore this helps . . I wish you good luck god bless and happy new year . . . Alex

well thank you, I didn't even see the sticky's at first sorry,,, but also thank youfor the reassurance.

so basically your saying, that this doesnt' sound at all like als? just like my dr did lol

i went to my primary care dr, and saw the neurologist, who both say this is stress and anxiety induced and prescribed me ativan when needed. the neuro. was VERY convinced and confident that its "No way als". she said further testing such as emg/mri/nerve tests etc are definetly not necessary.

i know i sould believe my drs. but it's always good to hear form people who have or are going thru it. any ideas> does this sound like the start of als/mnd?

You should absolutely believe your doctors. They have the training and experience to figure out what is wrong with you, they have examined you, and they have determined that, in your own words, "no way ALS". What further assurance could you possibly get from a bunch of strangers on the Internet that have never seen you and likely never will? Especially when, if you have read this forum at all before you posted here, those strangers are likely to give you the exact same answer that your doctors gave you -- your symptoms don't sound like ALS.

I forgot to add, that even though my drs' have given me the "all clear" based on exam... i still have nagging thoughts of this fear because ive read terrible things on the internet from neuros, other drs, patients, random people etc.

This is the problem that you need to work on. Information that you find on the Internet and poorly understand -- and you do poorly understand what you've read, else you would not be here asking about ALS -- is a foolish waste of your time. Since it is contributing to your anxiety about your health -- to the point that you are ignoring what your doctors have said -- your Internet research is making your problem worse, not better. You read more and you get more anxious. You get more anxious and you twitch more. You twitch more, so you go back to the Internet and read more. And the cycle starts again.

The cycle goes on and on until you decide to stop it. I hope you'll take the opportunity to do so. Good luck to you.

well i hope you and the drs. and my "logic" self are right lol ...anyways., thank you, god bless and happy new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back