Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
minnesota
City
Minneapolis
Hello. First let me apologize for my lack of knowledge with regard to ALS. I've only recently learned about it, and I am concerned about myself.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have health anxiety.

A month or so ago, I was having heart palpitations (which is not a symptom that makes me concerned about ALS)... I went to the doc, got some bloodwork done and an ekg. All was ruled to be fine.

Later, I started to notice a twitching in my right ear. It was a persistent twitch. Also, I was having twitching fingers in first my left hand then my right. I got really scared and my body started to shake all over. The next morning, I had a full body internal vibration that lasted for weeks. This has died down although I still get shaky.

I started to notice that when I lay down to go to bed, my legs from my hips down tremble. Just slightly.

Then I got a knee twitch in my left knee. It was a fairly persistent twitch that lasted for about a week. This has gone away but it left an ache in my knee and thigh.

My most recent strange symptom is that my toes on my left leg... the middle 2 toes, feel like they are locked. When my feet are flat on the floor, it is difficult for me to lift the last 3 toes of my foot. This has been happening for a few days. My foot is aching, but that could be because I keep trying to flex my toes. When I try to curl my toes, it seems like the pinky toe doesn't want to curl all the way down.

I've been to a doctor a few times and he is convinced that I simply suffer from anxiety, but I'm not so sure. What do you all think?

I've gone through all of the self assessments like walking on toes, heels, etc... and can manage them fine. But I'm still concerned.

Btw, I should add that I am female and 33 years old.

Morningstar, none of your symptoms sound at all like ALS. I think what is going onin your toes is that the twitches, which are very common have caused you to do some research, thus leading you to the ALS information on the internet. Then what tends to happen is we start to examine ourselves far too closely. like you focusing on your feet.
Most of us do not take a lot of interest in our feet, or how our toes actually work when we wiggle them etc. The last 3 toes on your foot are very difficult to move without moving all of them, its just how most people are wired. You probably never noticed before. The little toes often do not have a great deal of movement. I would think your toes have probably always been like that, you just have not been concerned before. You have been seen by a Dr, so be assured that you are fine.

ALS comes with weakness first, this is weakness on Clinical examination, not when a person just perceives that a limb is a bit heavy or tired.
I feel sure you will be just fine, if you continue to be concerned then you can always go back to your Dr.Its best to not examine yoursel. Leave it to the experts.
Hope this has helped
Best of luck
Aly

Agree with Aly -- your symptoms don't sound like ALS to me, either. You may also want to watch your intake of caffeine -- coffee, tea, soft drinks, energy drinks, etc. -- for a few days because caffeine can cause muscle twitching and tremors, too.

If you have further questions about your current symptoms or if new symptoms develop, take them to your doctor and please, please, please avoid the temptation to diagnose yourself using the Internet. The health information available on the Internet is of very uneven quality and can be an emotional minefield for someone who already has health anxiety.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for your replies and reassurances. My toes are still acting strange. In fact, my whole left leg aches. But I don't feel as though it is weak. I can walk just fine. Can walk on my toes, on my heels, etc. As I don't have insurance, I can't run to the doc with every little thing that bothers me... so I'm hoping that this thing with my toes is a pinched nerve or some other such strangeness. Have you ever heard of ALS starting with toe strain or stiffness?

Thanks for your replies and reassurances. My toes are still acting strange. In fact, my whole left leg aches. But I don't feel as though it is weak. I can walk just fine. Can walk on my toes, on my heels, etc. As I don't have insurance, I can't run to the doc with every little thing that bothers me... so I'm hoping that this thing with my toes is a pinched nerve or some other such strangeness. Have you ever heard of ALS starting with toe strain or stiffness?

The aches and pains you are feeling in your leg and toes are probably due to all the "self-assessment" you've been doing in place of going to the doctor. Putting unnatural stresses on a body part usually results in pain, and, if continued, possible injury to that body part.

The things you are doing to yourself to avoid going to the doctor may result in your needing to go to the doctor for treatment of unnecessary injury. Is it worth the risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back