mbdavis1976

Country
US
State
WI
City
Anytown
Hi everyone,
I'm a 34 year old male and I began experiencing some symptoms about 2 weeks ago. Started with some tingling behind my right leg. Over the course of the following week i developed fasciculations and twitching in both my legs and sometimes in my arms and back. They seem to worsen at night. No real cramps with the twitching, just some muscle aches in my calves. No weakness (I was able to run a mile and work out at the gym for an hour yesterday). But since yesterday I seem to notice that after I eat I feel like there's something stuck in my throat. I'm able to swallow water and saliva just fine, no coughing. But last night I ate some popcorn and also had to take some medications and after both of these I was coughing because I felt like there was something in my throat. Again, no weakness in my arms or legs, just twitching. And no trouble swallowing water, saliva or speaking. Just a feeling like there was something stuck in my throat after eating popcorn and taking a couple pills. I'm really concerned about bulbar ALS or regular ALS. Would it be common for these symptoms to present at the same time? I have an appointment with a neurologist next week (already saw my doctor and had normal reflexes and strength testing) but I'm really having a lot of anxiety and I know I'm going to have a hard time waiting that long to see the neurologist.
Thanks for any input.

Hi,

There is alot of people with your symptoms and we direct them to the stickies but I will tell you that twitching first is non diagnostic of ALS. Alot of people have them. Next, no weakness or reflex change means NO ALS. You might want to check out the BFS site. A lady named Robynn will probably be on this thread soon and she has great information on BFS. The swallowing is def anxiety. If you check the symptoms of anxiety trouble swallowing is at the top. Usually Bulbar starts with slurred speech and progresses on. Remember alot of people twitch especially during times of stress. :)

Kel Bel

That's not the story of someone with ALS.

It's my guess that it all started with tingling (maybe even some twitching) . . . you went on the internet and for some odd reason it pointed you towards ALS . . . you started to panic . . . you became super-vigilant about your body . . . you noticed some or even more twitches (because most everyone twitches, they just don't realize it) . . . you got even more anxious . . . you then developed your "swallowing issues" . . . and low-and-behold . . . here you are.

Am I at least close?

Tingling sensations point away from ALS. Muscle twitches mean nothing and are not diagnostic of ALS because most everyone has them. The "lump in your throat" feeling is not indicative of bulbar ALS (as Kelly said, it is assuredly a symptom of anxiety). Furthermore, you're not going to start with symptoms in both the bulbar region and legs at the same time.

Bottom line: Relax. Address the tingling in your legs with your neuro. Chances are you aggravated a nerve in your leg while working-out or doing something else. Take care.

Well since I was called out, its hard to keep my mouth shut, thanks Kelly, LOL

MB, please dont waste your mental energy stressing yourself out until your Neuro appointment next week. I promise it will be uneventful. You sound like a classic BFS/anxiety case to me. If you are going to spend any time on your computer looking stuff up, then please take the time to go over to AboutBFS.com. You will be able to read soooo many stories that sound just like yours (and mine for that matter).

Twitching calves are the most common place for constant twitches with BFS, along with the feet as well, but you may also have random hitters that just pop up and hit randomly in other parts of your body, all of this is very common with BFS.

What you are feeling in your throat is called Globus Hystericus, and you are welcome to look this one up as well, theres a lot of info on it. It is so very common with anxiety and almost all BFSers have had a few rounds with it. Trust me, the less attention you pay this symptom the quicker it will disappear. Although it is hugely common with anxiety, it can also be caused by frequent heartburn or GERD. So it is also worth talking with your doctor about this and seeing if you have some issues in that department that require treatment.

There are many theories out there of what causes BFS, and some docs do not believe in it, those docs usually are the ones to say its just anxiety. But there are many docs who will diagnose it and know quite a bit about it, and have theories as to whether it is caused by chronic stress, trauma, virus, or even some drugs or meds. Whatever the cause, it is managable, and can go away. Some docs say it goes away or dies down to such a level that it just becomes background noise after 2 to 3 years. I'm 1 year in and have noticed some improvement and have hopes things will continue to improve, but believe me, I was a mess several months ago, but things are looking up.

Ok I've rambled enough. If you have anymore questions on this, feel free to leave me a message or just post here, I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Take care and please try to relax.

Robynn:D

Hello, I came here because of the word swallowing issues. I am a good friend and assistant to a man with ALS. He is experiencing the saliva issues which lead me to the question. How do you deal with your swallowing. He does have a vent, though recent, saliva is always an issue.
He has had botox injections in the neck, tried multiple meds. We are aware that everyone is and can be different.
What works for you? What didn't work for you? That will help us, thanks.

Also, he is looking for a good neck brace that will work with his vent. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Jim

Thanks for all the feedback. I feel a little more at ease but still worried. Mostly because I also have some tightness in my jaw and feel like my speech gets a little thick when I talk too fast or for too long. Hopefully it nothing but we'll find out soon enough.

Jim, You may find answers much more quickly if you start a new thread on the "General Discussion" or the "People with ALS/PALS" area. To get there, see the top left of this page, click onto "ALS/MND Support Group Forums". You'll see the list of areas... choose one of the above and click onto it. A "Start New Thread" button will be at the top left. Click on that button, and a window for your title and also your question/message will appear.
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back