Not open for further replies.

Gamma21

Country
US
State
PA
City
New Oxford
So I have visited this forum many times, reading the posts, along with many other websites trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I thank you in advance for taking time to read this.

My symptoms began about a year ago at the end of my first semester at college. I had moved in with roomates who had smoked a lot of weed day in and day out. I had never smoked before and one day I guess you could say I gave into peer pressure and took a few hits. This is where all my health issues began. Almost immediately my throat felt as if it were swelling up and I couldn't swallow, it was horrible. Embarassed about it I tried to ignore it but couldn't and ended up going to the emergency room twice. They couldn't find anything. I then went to an ENT and he didn't see anything either. It wasn't long after this when I began experiencing many other symptoms; which I don't know if they are related or coincidental. First, muscle twitches all over my body with pain and stiffness. I also have had vision problems, perceived weakness and overall muscle fatigue and an overwhelming feeling of weakness. I also have trouble breathing where I am constantly needing to take deep breaths and yawn constantly. There a more subtle symptoms as well but I'm trying to make this as short as possible. I have seen my GP, ENT, Neurologists,and a Rheumatoligist. I have received no answers, and am incredibly frustrated and have no clue where to turn. I have had MRI's, Evoked Potentials, blood tests, urine tests,etc. I have also had 2 EMG's, one of one leg then a few months later of both legs and both arms, all normal. Please respond if you have any suggestions or have ever heard of anything like this, I don't even know what to think. I am 21y/o I might add. THANK YOU

So I have visited this forum many times, reading the posts, along with many other websites trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I thank you in advance for taking time to read this.

My symptoms began about a year ago at the end of my first semester at college. I had moved in with roomates who had smoked a lot of weed day in and day out. I had never smoked before and one day I guess you could say I gave into peer pressure and took a few hits. This is where all my health issues began. Almost immediately my throat felt as if it were swelling up and I couldn't swallow, it was horrible. Embarassed about it I tried to ignore it but couldn't and ended up going to the emergency room twice. They couldn't find anything. I then went to an ENT and he didn't see anything either. It wasn't long after this when I began experiencing many other symptoms; which I don't know if they are related or coincidental. First, muscle twitches all over my body with pain and stiffness. I also have had vision problems, perceived weakness and overall muscle fatigue and an overwhelming feeling of weakness. I also have trouble breathing where I am constantly needing to take deep breaths and yawn constantly. There a more subtle symptoms as well but I'm trying to make this as short as possible. I have seen my GP, ENT, Neurologists,and a Rheumatoligist. I have received no answers, and am incredibly frustrated and have no clue where to turn. I have had MRI's, Evoked Potentials, blood tests, urine tests,etc. I have also had 2 EMG's, one of one leg then a few months later of both legs and both arms, all normal. Please respond if you have any suggestions or have ever heard of anything like this, I don't even know what to think. I am 21y/o I might add. THANK YOU

Sounds like the paranoia that pot smokers sometimes get, but yours is long term :razz:

My guess is that it's full blown anxiety. The fact that you have had all those tests done, I don't see why you're worrying.

But you may have something totally treatable, certainly (from my knowledge) not ALS. Again, the fact that the numerous tests you have done leads me to believe it's paranoia/anxiety/in your head.

However, don't listen to me---Talk to your Doctor.

Again.

I'm callin B.S. on the op, and if not, get a life!

I'm being 100% serious and mean no disrespect here. And I literally smoked 1 time and needless to say never tried it again. Again I don't know that this event is related or correlated to my symptoms or not, I tend to think not. I know this sounds silly and ridiculous, I agree, but my symptoms are very real. If I have had 2 EMG's and nothing has showed am I in the clear? The doctor said no MND, I did not tell him this whole story either. He said MND crossed his mind at first but then after EMG and an exam he did not think this any longer. Is there some sort of other muscular disease or something that could mimic ALS? Thanks

Entertaining this only for my own amusement do you honestly think that smoking pot caused you to have ALS? lol

Ha, no I don't think think this, which is why I didn't say anything to the doctor about it, because he would have just passed it off. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it on here either because it makes my story sound ridiculous. As a matter of a fact I don't believe it has anything to do with my other symptoms but figured I would tell the whole story from the start. Only I would have such a stupid and ridiculous story like this lol.

Well whatever the beginning folly of the story, the end is just as ridiculous bc you tell us all the test you have had are normal, and you still found yourself here. Now ask yourself, "am I being rational to think that every test I had tells me I dont have ALS, but I believe I am more qualified to say I dont believe them, so I'll seek the opinion of non-qualified healthcare professionals and leave it to them to invalidate/validate my fears?"

Whats your major in school?

Yes, I guess you're right it is very irrational, however doctors can't seem to find an answer for my symptoms so I keep finding myself coming back to this. I really don't know what to think or how to proceed. My symptoms are real though and that is undeniable. Thanks for your reply. I am a business admin major (senior).

Well you are welcome to come hang out at AboutBFS.com. You would find alot more people with a story similar to yours (minus the weed, LOL) over there. Your symptoms are way more common than you think, and you really have nothing going on that should keep you hanging out here.

Take care

Robynn:grin:

Why don't you list the symptoms that you have that you think are ALS symptoms and how they started? Quite simply, the symptoms you've listed here here and the circumstances under which you experienced them don't sound like ALS at all.

PS. A lot of ALS patients smoke pot to relieve some of their ALS symptoms. Don't they'd continue to smoke it if it made things worse.

Enlighten me, please. Just what subject does one have to major in to be treated as anything other than a joke?

If you find someone's problem, whether physical or anxiety related, to be solely a source of entertainment for you then perhaps you shouldn't respond to his/her posts. People come here for support not ridicule.

When someone is frightened, being rational is not always a choice.

Last edited:
Gamma21 some people have horrible side effects from marijuana. For most it is ok ,but some people are not so lucky and it can play havoc with their nervous system. It unfortunately hangs around in body for an extremely long time. This makes it difficult if you are one of the people adversely affected long term.
It could be the answer to your sudden problems after partaking in the pot.
If you hang in there, things may return to normal, especially after all your tests have been ok.
Best of luck, and I hope you feel better soon. No more induging ever for you.
Have a nice New Year( drug free)

im no expert on pot, but im pretty sure that youve got to smoke it more than once for it to stick around in your system.
THC is stored in your fat cells, so the larger you are, the longer it will stick around, but again, this is for the more than one time user.
JMHO

If you find someone's problem, whether physical or anxiety related, to be solely a source of entertainment for you then perhaps you shouldn't respond to his/her posts. People come here for support not ridicule.

Why didn't you offer some support to the original poster, ND? I'm sure it would have done much more good for everyone than the twenty-five cent schoolmarmish lecture. It certainly would have been more on topic.

Speaking of support, do you ever actually provide any, or do you just spend your time griping about the way that others do it?

When someone is frightened, being rational is not always a choice.

Anyone that is frightened out of rationality needs far more help than anyone can provide here.

To the original poster -- as several of us have said, your symptoms don't sound anything like ALS. Just hang in there and let your doctors figure it out. Trying to figure things out yourself from Internet resources is the best way I know to scare yourself to death -- and it looks like you've done exactly that. Good luck.

I think, Fogey, you should have written a visitor message to me rather than this post here since it, too, is not only off topic but self- serving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back