Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MI
City
Anywhere
Alright, so let me start by saying this is going to be a long post. I tend to worry a lot of diseases like ALS, cancer, etc...I'm an 18 y.o. male.

I never though of ALS until recently when I started feeling weak, then I decided to ask dr. Google. I went to my doctor and I have a Vit. D deficiency (level of 25, normal 32-100).

I've never really though about it before, but I have or "seem to have" a lot of symptoms that point towards ALS. I have had twitches every where randomly for a couple years as I can recall, then starting probably 5 months or so ago these were followed by my arms and torso feeling like they were shaking (and they visibly weren't). I had a bad respiratory virus that lasted 6 weeks this fall and not long after I got over this I started getting these short, sharp headaches that aren't unbearable, but just annoying; my doctor (whom I trust) attributed the headaches to an after-viral effect that could take a while to go away (CT was perfectly normal). For as long as I can remember too, I tend to drop things quite a bit. It's not like I have a good grip and my hands open, its mainly like dropping my car keys when putting them in the ignition or picking them up off the counter and sending them to the floor. Then about 4 weeks ago I started feeling weak. I can still move heavy furniture at work, shovel, etc... but going up stairs my legs get tight easily (keep in mind my arms and legs feel weak on this came on quick). Now this last week or two is feels like I'm having trouble swallowing; I'm not choking on food or anything like that, but it feels like I have to thrust my tongue to swallow.

But before anything, I googled all of this and of course everything came up with ALS. I keep telling myself that I;m young and it's a VERY limited chance I have ALS but then I read stories on line about people being diagnosed at young ages from noticing things (one had trouble playing guitar) and I feel helpless now.

Any replys are appreciated.

Also forgot to mention, I've been getting cramps in both me feet when I try to bend my big toe down. It's like the toe will continue to pull down; I can't recall how long I've had these. Not a lot, but a couple times a day I find myself mixing up words; I'll say something like "van's mom," instead of "mom's van", I've also had trouble messing words up too every now and then, they just come out weird (I think this has been going on for a while too).

I'm an 18 y.o. male.

I've never really though about it before, but I have or "seem to have" a lot of symptoms that point towards ALS. I have had twitches every where randomly for a couple years as I can recall, then starting probably 5 months or so ago these were followed by my arms and torso feeling like they were shaking (and they visibly weren't). I had a bad respiratory virus that lasted 6 weeks this fall and not long after I got over this I started getting these short, sharp headaches that aren't unbearable, but just annoying; my doctor (whom I trust) attributed the headaches to an after-viral effect that could take a while to go away (CT was perfectly normal). For as long as I can remember too, I tend to drop things quite a bit. Then about 4 weeks ago I started feeling weak. I can still move heavy furniture at work, shovel, etc... but going up stairs my legs get tight easily (keep in mind my arms and legs feel weak on this came on quick). Now this last week or two is feels like I'm having trouble swallowing; I'm not choking on food or anything like that, but it feels like I have to thrust my tongue to swallow.

But before anything, I googled all of this and of course everything came up with ALS. I keep telling myself that I;m young and it's a VERY limited chance I have ALS

Sounds like anxiety to me.

Anxiety/Worry/Depressions inevitably leads to fatigue/feeling weak.

Whether or not you feel your symptoms warrant an EMG is up to you...

Also forgot to mention, I've been getting cramps in both me feet when I try to bend my big toe down. It's like the toe will continue to pull down; I can't recall how long I've had these. Not a lot, but a couple times a day I find myself mixing up words; I'll say something like "van's mom," instead of "mom's van", I've also had trouble messing words up too every now and then, they just come out weird (I think this has been going on for a while too).

I'm positive everyone mixes up words from time to time---that's completely normal. It's funny, because, once you think about mixing up words is when it will most happen.

Kind of like thinking you're gonna trip up/down the stairs and then you do---that has happened to me many times.:-o.

Setting yourself up for mistakes is as good as already making them.

As for the cramps, I don't know... I know making some awkward movement with your foot will cause a cramp. That happens to everyone. It's possible your cramps are self induced.

I'm on the same boat as you, 19 and worried about ALS. But everyday that passes and I feel fine and the astronomically low chances of me getting it keeps my spirits high. This health anxiety is killer stuff... But I will emerge out of it.

For what it's worth, I have twitches too, or started paying attention to them since August. Anxiety is funny stuff...

None of your "symptoms", as you describe them, resemble ALS symptoms in any way, regardless of what you think you may have understood from what you have read. You should believe what your doctor has told you and direct any further questions to him.

By poking around on the Internet instead of going to your doctor with your questions and concerns, you are delaying yourself from getting the treatment that you need to resolve your condition. That's kind of counterproductive, don't you think?

Good luck to you.

None of your "symptoms", as you describe them, resemble ALS symptoms in any way, regardless of what you think you may have understood from what you have read. You should believe what your doctor has told you and direct any further questions to him.

By poking around on the Internet instead of going to your doctor with your questions and concerns, you are delaying yourself from getting the treatment that you need to resolve your condition. That's kind of counterproductive, don't you think?

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the level-headed reply, I needed that. I know that thinking I had this disease was stupid, I just needed a smack across the face from someone. I apologize if I aggravate any of you who actually have it.

hi. . The odds of having als are pretty slim in the first place but to have it at your age . . Well the odds would be mind bogglin, . . As regards your symptoms . . Well just listen to what tryfogy has said . Read it and Re read it . . A lot of what is happening not only does not sound like it but from the limited knowledge i have it actually points away from it . . . Try and relax . Your too young to be worrying bout it. . I wish you good luck and god bless . . Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back