Not open for further replies.

newdaddy

Country
US
State
New jersey
City
west new york
About two weeks ago I wrote on this forum about strange symptoms that started after I got sick with night sweats, fatigue and cough. These symptoms have gotten worse and as I wait for the results of a brain MRI that I did today, I ask for your help so I can be prepared for what's to come. My symptoms started with a weak knee in my right leg and a weak right hand, about a year ago, which my sport doctor attributed to a pinch nerve in my neck. After I got sick in the middle of november I started to notice a lack of coordination in my right hand which was also stiff. In matter of a week the left hand started to feel weak, I can grip something but the fingers feel very weak. For example, I was opening my mail box and the keys very slipping out of my hand. This sense of weakness in my hands spread to my shoulders and to my right leg. I've been all along telling myself to stay positive and not panic, my uncle died because of ALS and I didn't want to be a hypochondriac. But almost every morning I wake up I feel weaker or a new symptoms appears. The past few days I had noticed that my face feels "tight" and my tongue is weak. Again I didn't want to panic about it so I ignored it. But yesterday and today Im slurring words. I'm having problems with the letter r which comes out as L and the s which sounds like a z. I say calds instead of cards. If I was focusing on it I would think that I'm conditioning myself to slur because I'm anxious, but the opposite is true: it happens when I'm not thinking about it. If I focus on my speech I can talk clearly or almost perfectly clearly, when I'm relaxed it comes out slurred. Is it possible that I would have just some symptoms and that in a matter of weeks almost my entire body is affected by ALS? I have occasional fasciculation, not in my hands or feet, but in my shoulder and legs. Please be honest, tell me if you think it is ALS, what I should do in terms of tests. And if you think it's not, what could it be.
Thank you so much.

I apologize, I want to add that the neurological symptoms started at the end of November. That my right ankle is also extremely weak and that I was put on levaquin and prednisone which is a combination known for potentially giving severe side effects. Could that be a reason?

Sounds more like some kind of virus. ALS doesn't come and spread quickly like that. Have you got any uncles that died of cancer or heart disease? What makes you think you have a better chance of ALS? You're thinking and talking yourself into something you really don't want. Get some help soon.

AL.

As Al said, ALS does not come on that quickly or affect your whole body at once. I don't know what you might have but ALS is too much of a leap. Have you seen a neurologist?

Thanks to Al and Joel c for your reply. I hope you believe that I do not want ALS and that I too realize how unlikely it is that two people unrelated by blood contract this disease. But I can't ignore my symptoms, my body response and weakness accompanies almost every action I take. The fast timing is what I hold on to. If my right leg and then my are truly weak because of a pinched nerve, then upper body weakness is spreading too fast for ALS. Any thoughts on similar slurring patterns? If you do have it as a symptom how did it started. Do you guys know anything about the drug interaction of levaquin and prednisone?

Add one more voice to the "It's not ALS" chorus.

What do your doctors say when you direct these questions to them? How about your pharmacist, especially with regard to drug interactions? Did the folks that performed your MRI today give you any instructions on what to do if you started feeling "different" after the procedure and, if so, have you followed those instructions?

Frankly speaking, if I were feeling as badly as you say you are, Internet message boards would be the last place I'd be looking for answers. You're paying your doctors for answers, and it sounds like you need to be significantly more aggressive about getting what you've paid for.

Good luck.

Trfogey
Thanks for your reply. When I saw my doctor about three weeks ago, there was no slurring and the weakness in my hands was not as pronouced. He requested an MRI to rule out MS or a tumor. I left him a message today asking if I should be scheduled for an EMG, I think I won't hear from him until Monday though. I know you guys are amazing people, and that the last thing you want to do is tell someone that they may be joining this forum as a diagnosed person, but I ask, is your opinion based on the fact that i have suffered a loss because of this disease and know about it, or is it based on my symptoms? Again any description on the onset of slurring would be very much appreciated. The bottom of my tongue feels very weak and words with an R are the most difficult to speak clearly.

I went to "drugs dot com" and checked for interaction...

Drug interactions between Levaquin and prednisone

Results for the following 2 drugs:
Levaquin (levofloxacin)
prednisone
Interactions between your selected drugs
prednisone ↔ levofloxacin

Applies to:prednisone and Levaquin (levofloxacin)

MONITOR CLOSELY: Concomitant administration of corticosteroids may potentiate the risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture associated with fluoroquinolone treatment. The mechanism is unknown. Tendinitis and tendon rupture have most frequently involved the Achilles tendon, although cases involving the rotator cuff (the shoulder), the hand, the biceps, and the thumb have also been reported. Some have required surgical repair or resulted in prolonged disability. Tendon rupture can occur during or up to several months after completion of fluoroquinolone therapy.

MANAGEMENT: Caution is recommended if fluoroquinolones are prescribed in combination with corticosteroids, particularly in patients with other concomitant risk factors (e.g., age over 60 years; recipient of kidney, heart, and/or lung transplant). Patients should be advised to stop taking the fluoroquinolone, avoid exercise and use of the affected area, and promptly contact their physician if they experience pain, swelling, or inflammation of a tendon. In general, fluoroquinolones should only be used to treat conditions that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by bacteria and only if the benefits outweigh the risks.

You do not display any reason to suspect ALS; the tongue problem just points (to me) even more strongly that this drug interaction may well be a problem. Call your pharmacist...who may know more than your doctor...but please do not wait until Monday to call. This website (above) is the only one I looked at, and you may find more strange interactions by looking further. Put "levaquin and prednisone?" in the search.

Best wishes to you. Hope you get this straightened out quickly.

Thank you Abbas Child. I had previously looked at that same website you pointed me to. I just called my pharmacist, he said prednisone can cause muscle weakness but not two months after being used. He had no knowledge and could not find any literature about tongue issues deriving from any of these meds. I'm really scared. I hope my brain MRI shows that I have MS, it seems the best option on the table at this point for me.

I've seen reports by users of levaquin since my post, which may or may not be valid. However, your weakness would not be far from some of the problems I've read about. Loss of smell and taste were reported, for instance--from the levaquin. I sure don't know if it's true, but would suspect it is much more likely than MS. What you or I see in the internet is just comment by folks who aren't qualified. You should have literature with your prescription. Have you looked at "rarely reported side effects", for instance? That would actually have credence--I'm not qualified in any way.

I have since discarded the litterurature that came with the meds. I hope you don't mind me asking, do you have slurred speech, how did it first present itself. Did you have difficulties with the letter r and s, or a feeling that something was underneath your tongue. I'm sorry to keep asking the same question, I just hope someone will answer it.

I don't have any of these problems with my speech. What I would suggest is you call your pharmacist again. Explain that you've discarded the literature, and ask them to please read to you ALL side effects listed, including the rare ones. Your having this happen since the end of November makes me strongly believe it is not ALS. Keep hunting the drug dog, please...set the disease dog aside until later. I don't think you'll find yourself with ALS.

Added: The speech problem you describe is simply more muscle weakness. In other words, a similar problem to your hand weakness, but different location. Don't get fixated on letters you slur. Keep thinking "muscle weakness". Does that help with your worry about the speech? Muscle weakness can be anywhere. This fast moving pattern is not ALS.

Last edited:
I know you guys are amazing people, and that the last thing you want to do is tell someone that they may be joining this forum as a ALS diagnosis person, but I ask, is your opinion based on the fact that i have suffered a loss because of this disease and know about it, or is it based on my symptoms?

My opinion is based on what you've described as happening to you and what you have related about what your doctors have told you. If your sports doctor tells you that you have pinched nerves in your spine, who am I to tell him that he's wrong?

Again any description on the onset of slurring would be very much appreciated. The bottom of my tongue feels very weak and words with an R are the most difficult to speak clearly.

How many people have asked you whether you are drunk lately? I don't suffer from bulbar symptoms myself, but my fellow PALS that do suffer bulbar symptoms describe the slurring of early stage bulbar symptoms that way.

Abbas Child
Thank you for your kind words. I've done nothing but pretend that this is all going to go away, I hope I can continue to do so. I tried my pharmacist again, they are closed. I will call tomorrow and do what you suggested. I'm scared to go to bed at night, every morning I find myself with a new symptom. It's always getting worse and never better. It's very hard at this point to ignore the possibility of ALS. If anyone with slurred speech could contribute, I'd appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back