Status
Not open for further replies.
W

worriedfornothing

Hey guys,

I never thought I would post about this, but my health anxiety has led me here.

I'll keep this short:

-First started twitching (or noticing) since August. No weakness since and I feel physically fine.
- Twitches are random and not constant. Some days I'll get like as little as 5-10 randoms... Of course they come in moments of stress/depression. Though, I don't think I have BFS being that they aren't persistent in any way.
- 19 years old

This my sound dumb but here is what I'm worried about...

It seems to me that my thenar on my right hand is somewhat bulge-ier than my left hand. No weakness in my left, and I am left handed. I'm not even sure if the difference is there or if it's just a matter of perspective. Say when I make a fist, it pretty much looks identical but sometimes I'll notice some differences. Other angles and positions, my right looks slightly more 'puffy'. There is also this little line/dimple dent on my left, extremely small and only noticeable at a certain position. Of course, this means atrophy to me.

I never paid this much attention to my hands. This recent ALS scare has prompted me to check everywhere for atrophy. Crazy, I know.

Also, I notice that when I make a certain face, there's this little curve dent above my right eyebrow that isn't present in my left. Again, I never paid this much attention to my forehead... Could have been like this for all I know.

I just want to know if this is something to be concerned about or not.

Questions:

-Does weakness come before noticeable atrophy?

-Would twitches for 5 months, if als, progressed into serious symptoms?

Weakness always comes before atrophy and twitches do not mean a thing and are not used to diagnose ALS. Don't be concerned. You are much too young to be concerned about this.

Thanks for the reply.

Every since August, my life has never been worse when it comes to depression and this new HA that I have developed. I feel so selfish and ungrateful when I waste perfectly fine days worrying. Googling. Examining. Wondering.

But I have this tendency to always look for reassurance and this is why I came here. I wish I could go back where I would have never thought twice about things I now carefully think about. It's ridiculous.

I'm sure you guys have come across many many people like me being that ALS is one of the most feared in the Anxiety community. It must get tedious to reply to worthless concerns (such as mine)..I understand some frustrations that I have read on here when I was lurking. Some people just can't let it go...I will not be like that.

I just hope I can get over this HA...I know I can.

All the best,

As Joel said you have no signs or symptoms of ALS. Try not to examine your body during moments of anxiety. None of us are at all symmetrical ! Try to look beyond your body. Hey I have just been watching a really creepy episode of " Dexter" and looked at my wonky feet in a rather too graphic moment. I swear my toes were more pointed upwards than normal. I realized it was just stupid as I do not know my feet that intimately, thank goodness cause they are really ugly.

You sound really smart, and knowledgable about your anxiety. Good on you. Try and find some medical help if it gets out of control, as it is a sad place to be. You have a great Christmas and you need not fear a thing.

You know fear and anxiety are absolutely terrible. Yes ALS is feared, but anxiety is no picnic either, so look after yourself.

Haeri Mai
Aly

Thanks guys. I feel better.

So what are the odds of someone my age getting this disease?

Almost non-existent I hope? :)

Of course nothing is ever zero medically speaking...

Your chances of being killed in a traffic accident during the next year are greater than your chances of having ALS at this time. If you aren't worried about riding in a motor vehicle or walking on the sidewalk along the streets, then you should have even less fear about getting ALS at your age. Your choice, though.

And, I agree with Joel and Aly -- nothing you've said here points in any way toward ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back