Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Houston
hi everyone,

today i went to my third neurologist to get another opinion.

he did an array of tests such as walking on my heels and toes. Walking in a straight line with my heels touching my toes. And strength tests such as telling me to resist him pushing my legs/fingers/toes/arms down.

He did an ankle clonus test and once again my right ankle was positive but my babinksi for both feet were negative. He checked my reflexes all over my body and did something on my fingers and said that i had a positive hoffmans sign. Which got me worrired but he didnt say anything and just smiled. I think he did it too prove that i had brisk reflexes all over?

He then went over my EMG results from october and said that everything was "perfectly ok".

But i feel as if whenever i get my reflexes checked my right side (right arm or right leg) always jerk more than the left but after 2 neurological tests the docs say that i have brisk reflexes ALL OVER but to me it feels like its only on the right side...?

ive also been having breathing problems as of late. I feel as if i'm short of breath.

I guess my main problem with getting over this is the sudden arrival of the ankle clonus and brisk reflexes, i really dont care anymore about the twitches. it seems like the docs seem to blow over these occurences. they associate anxiety with my brisk reflexes and my ankle clonus with a developmental cause due to the surgery in my right leg. It's been more than two months since this entire episode has started...if the ankle clonus and brisk reflexes was associated with ALS would i have had some noticeable signs such as not being able to walk or move?

Thank you

Why do you go to doctors if you are not going to listen to what they have to say? Seems like a waste of their time and your money to me, but to each his/her own.

But, to answer your question, two months is probably too short a time to expect to see additional symptoms in the case of ALS, especially in the early stages. Of course, the clean EMG you had in October demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don't have ALS, so no one in a rational frame of mind would expect any ALS symptoms to develop.

You really need to let this fixation with ALS go.

thank you for ur reply trfogey
and i really want to let this fixation with als go and i would if all i had was brisk reflexes and occasional twitches but its this darn ankle clonus i have. and the docs say that its a developmental thing but why NOW? why with all these twitches and brisk reflexes? it just seems too simple for all of this just to be anxiety or stress or BFS. i mean i also feel discomfort while pushing on the pedal while driving.

its all just confusing. ankle clonus with a negative babinski. but a positive hoffmans sign. a negative EMG with no clincial weakness. i have something neurologically going on if i have ankle clonus and brisk reflexes and occasional twitches right?

Busted, LOL, I'm going to get your butt. You do have something neurological going on, you have a benign muscle movement disorder, its called......guess what.....BFS, LOL. You are fine and should be enjoying your holiday with your family. BFS can and does cause brisk reflexes and it can make them brisk enough to cause clonus as well, I am proof of that. The quicker you accept this diagnosis, the quicker your symptoms will start to let up. The Anxiety that comes with BFS causes 70% of its symptoms.

Your neuro says you are fine, everyone here says you are fine, I know you are fine, its your turn, lets get on with it hun.

You take care and enjoy spending some time with your family, and I'll talk to you soon.

Your friend

Robynn:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back