Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
North Carolina
City
Sneads Ferry
My husband has been tentatively diagnosed with ALS. Still waiting to do a spinal and cervical MRI. My question is about pain he has in his neck. I keep reading that pain is not consistent with ALS. All of his symptoms do go along with ALS. He has been degressing for about 7 mos. now. He did not have any pain, just weakness until about a month ago. He had a fall and hit is head. Since then, his head tilts to one side, can't straighten it at all and his head drop is way increased. He also suffers pain in his neck often. Dr.'s did an MRI on his neck area and said there was no injury. It is just so difficult trying to figure out how so many different symptoms are connected. Anyone's thoughts on the pain?

Although Drs will tell you there is no pain associated with ALS, most of the PALS here would disagree with that. Just think about it. In your husbands case, his neck is hurting- probably because the muscles in his neck are getting weaker, so they are going in "over-drive" to try to support the weight of his head. Sounds painful to me! Also, lots of folks will get shoulder pain, and this tends to be after the arm is no longer of any use, and just hangs. It is dead weight. The muscles are dead and all that is holding it in place are tendons and what not. Again, sounds painful to me.
Have your hubby rest his head against the back of whatever chair he sits in, whether it a recliner or wheelchair. Obviously pillows can be used. Also, a neck brace may help some, but most of the time, after a certain point, all you can really do is lean it back against a chair/bed.
Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. It does make sense. It mostly bothers him when he tries to sit at the computer so I think Santa needs to consider a laptop for him so that he can use it in his lift recliner with a tray. Anyone else have success with that? Obviously many of you are on computers and didn't really know the best set up to use one (i.e. desktop, laptop) but keep the head back and supported.

I think your idea of the laptop and tray for his recliner is wonderful. As neck and trunk and arms weaken, we lean forward at the PC... Another idea is to get a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, but I will note that my keyboard is way too wide (there is a LOT within the keyboard, and numbers off to the right side), so that I bump the edge against the wheelchair arms which causes all kinds of odd things to occur while typing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back