Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
PORTSMOUTH
City
portsmouth
Hi guys, well as u can tell from my title im worried to death that i have als/mnd :(

I do suffer from anxiety but i believe this has only come about since i started having weird physical symptoms.

My symptoms on a daily basis are:

feelings of weakness in both arms, sometimes legs, almost always right arm/right leg. but its strange coz i can still lift heavy things, with both arms, so im not sure if this is real weakness? what does the beginnings of weakness feel like?

I get little muscle twinges in hands, like little tightenings that come and go.

I have aches n pains in muscles, this tends to be in forearms and shoulders and neck, sometimes legs but not often.

I get burning feelings in my body, can be anywhere and is random.

my muscle twitching is horrible :( i get it everyday. all over. even in my fingers!

my eyelid and lips twitch too :(

i stretch CONSTANTLY, and i dont know why, i just ache and i constantly feel like i need to stretch out, worried coz i think mnd sufferers get this ?

I am dizzy all the time, on and off throughout each day.

If i stretch or twist my hands or arms to release the stiff feelings, my hands or arms go really weak afterwards, like i cant clasp my hand, but this soon fades.

Im always breathless but this is probably my panic coming in..

Sometimes it feels like i cant swallow properly, or i gotta lump in throat..

I have pain when i press basically every muscle in my body..

I have severe fatigue, but still manage to do housework n look after my 2 yr old, so not sure if this is real fatigue? i just feel tired all the time with the aches everywhere and basically my arms feel heavy, and i get sudden sharp pains in my muscles, mostly arms.

My vision is another thing. the most difficult to cope with. I get weird feelings like i cant open my eyes, and evrything looks strange, and slightly 'off' or 'blurred'. Ive had eyes tested and had a ct brain scan (not mri like i wanted!) and all normal. so what couldthis be?

I have had a full blood count and all fine. but dont think mnd shows up in blood., i also worrya bout MS.

I dont ever feel anxious, only when i get symptoms. I really dont know wot could be happening. The doctor thinks stress and maybe 'something neurological', so has referred me to a Neuro who i am seeing on the 1st february. im dreading it, i cant stop worrying and having huger panic attacks :(

This feeling trhat my right arm is unattached to my body and heavy/weak is horrible. The biggest thing thats worried me, is i woke up the other night (i never wake up in the night), my right arm felt like it wasnt attached to me again, along with my right leg, i panicked and sat up having a huge panic attack, i was so frightened.

My 2 year old is starting to say mummy poorly and i can see the wory in his eyes, but i just cant seem to shake off that im seriously ill and be strong for him.

My mum says that if i had something serious then i wouldnt be able to do things like do my mascara, eyeliner, straighten my hair, get my socks on, hoover, etc etc I can do all those things but it feels like its a real effort, like i ache and feel weak all over.

I know theres sumthin up, whether its als i dont know, i just dont know how im guna get through the next 2 months :(

please can people tyell me the sort of things i would find difficult in the initial stages and what symptoms i would be getting if i had als/mnd?

im 23 xxx

sorry to ramble im just so frightened :(

also have tingling and tickling feelings in skin, can be anywhere, but mostly in arms and legs and scalp

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...might-have-amyotrophic-lateral-sclerosis.html Read this, and you will realize it is not ALS. For one thing, weakness is NOT being able to open a bottle, not able to hold a hairdryer to dry your hair, and not being able to walk up 3 stairs without assistance. Sensory issues(IE Tingling and tickling) are not associated with ALS. Everyone twitches, it is not a sign of ALS.

Your story isn't the story of someone with ALS . . . it isn't even close. Why?

Your symptoms are much too global and are occuring all at the same time, for it to be ALS.

If you "feel" weak but can still lift heavy things as you normally do, then that weakness is perceived weakness and not true, clinical weakness. In other words, it isn't ALS weakness.

Burning feelings point away from ALS.

A constant need to stretch is not a symptom of ALS . . . a movement disorder possibly (e.g. restless leg syndrome) . . . but not ALS.

The "lump in your throat feeling" is most likely due to anxiety.

Making muscles ache by pressing on them is not a sign of ALS.

Blurry or strained vision is not a symptom of ALS.

Having a feeling of "detached" limbs is not a symptom of ALS.

Your age makes it highly unlikely that you have ALS . . . although all of the signs and symptoms you mention, certainly indicate you don't have it.

Listen to your mom . . . NOT YOURSELF AND YOUR SELF-DIAGNOSIS OF A CONDITION YOU DO NOT HAVE . . . and relax. Get off of the internet and take solace in the fact that you are still able to function normally (physically, that is) and let your physicians determine what is happening to you . . . be it physical or mental. Take care in the meantime.

Listen to Wright. He knows what he's talking about. You don't have MND.

AL.

I am much older, 53, female. My subtle symptoms began in 2008. I've progressed to spots of atrophy in my legs, feet, shoulders, arms, and hands. I have difficulty swallowing and often wipe the corners of my mouth for saliva. I have fatigue.

My best friend is heat--I use a heating pad and/or electric blanket due to excruciating cramping pain. I THINK I've seen fasics in my tongue. I know I've seen them everywhere else. The pattern seems to be fasic, pain, then atrophy (I call them sinkholes). I have occasional profound hoarseness.

Cymbalta and Baclofen help the pain at night; he wanted me to try Nucentra for pain, but I just cannot tolerate the side effects. I lose my balance, and am beginning to feel as though my knees are giving way.

The last EMG I had in October 2010 prompted the following response from the neuro: "It's OK. I was prepared to see neuropathy." I have been referred to UVA in March for another EMG.

I would love to know what those of you with so much knowledge of MND think this is headed. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back