Not open for further replies.

tenebre

Country
US
State
CA
City
los angeles
I'm 37 and have a wife and three children. I work as an artist an so I am on the computer at least 60 hours a week. I will discuss only the symptoms that have been scaring me to the point of tears. If anyone can comment to me on my symptoms I'd greatly appreciate it.

Initially I have chalked this up to some symptoms from either anxiety or being on a supplement called "OxyElite Pro" but I'm not so sure. The net does not necessarily help with so much wrong information.

About 3 months ago in August I noticed my throat was tight... very low in my throat. The more I concentrated on it the worse it gets. Its kinda fluctuated back and forth. When I'm at ease I feel no tightness, when I think about it the noticable tightness gets far worse. I would like to chalk this up to anxiety but it doesn't seem to necessarily go away. I've had similar experiences like this that lasted for months and finally went away. I know what your thinking... "This guy just has anxiety" but I'm incredibly worried and to boot the following I've noticed.

About a month ago I noticed a weird, involuntary twitch in my index finger while using the computer. Then I noticed it at night but I certainly was focusing on it. Its almost as if I can predict when it will happen but there is a restlessness in my hand and forearm. I'd like to think this was CS but i'm unsure. The finger twitch went away but now its back. Now, the finger twitch seemingly I first noticed when I started the supplements and came back within a day of stopping them so I'm hoping this is the supplements going in and leaving my system but again... afraid, paranoid and unsure. The twiches that I noticed were only a few at a time but it feels like I feel like I can pinpoint when they are going to happen but they don't come... yet that same restless feeling.

I made an appointment for the neurologist tomorrow and I don't know how i'll even sleep. My wife says she thinks its just anxiety and hypochondria but I can't convince myself otherwise and I'm at the point of tears. Reading the net only makes it worse but I feel like this is probably the safest place to ask for help and opinions...

Could anyone give me some encouragement?

Quite simply - It is not ALS. Relax.

That is simply not the story of someone with ALS . . . it's not even close and I'm confident your neurologist is going to tell you the same thing. Relax as Joel has said because what you have shared isn't something that should cause you worry.

As Joel and Wright, so simply put it, its not ALS, and I can tell you for a fact that it is Anxiety. I had this in my throat for months a few years back, the exact same feeling you describe, and then one day it was just gone. It came back several months ago with some other symptoms I've been coping with (BFS related) and it has come and gone since February. One other thing that can cause it is Acid Reflux, but thats something that your docs should be able to rule in or out fairly easy. And just today as a matter of fact, my index finger started tremoring back and forth for about 20 min then went silent, but it has done this for months now, worse when anxiety kicks in. It will pass when you start to ignore it.

I know it sounds dumb, but I actually started to cry when I read your post because I know that fear all to well, anxiety is so evil. Please take it from someone who almost threw in the towel several months ago because that fear can grow so strong if you feed it.

Listen to your neuro tomorrow and trust what he tells you, and stay off google, it can take over every aspect of your life and cause you to neglect the things in your life you care about most. Trust me on this.

Take Care

Robynn

Last edited:
All of you... Thank you so much! I truly believe anxiety and my mind is my own worse enemy in this time in my life. Between the finger and the throat and the tons of scary or incorrect information out there I really have been a basket case. My wife keeps close to me telling me that I don't have anything serious but my deluded gut tells me otherwise... And yes those finger twitches get worse when I concentrate on them or get back on the computer to work. I almost am afraid to get back on the computer to worm because I don't want to feel them... Or obsess about them and then they actually start.

Even this morning my arm felt tired but I'll presume this is stress in general... But I see the Neurologist today so hopefully he'll steer me right. I'm sorry for spilling my fears, almost certainly and primarily symptoms of anxiety and stress on here but having these unusual things alltogether have combined to take me down. My heartfelt thanks to your words of advice and comfort... Even this morning your comments have REALLY helped. I'll comment after I hear back from the neuro just to let you know what he says and for other people that have me types of fears.

thank you all!

This is a great place to ask those questions and we are glad to be of help if we can. best of wishes for you today. Happy Thanksgiving!

hi . . Sorry you going through all this. . . It does not sound anything like als to be honest though maybe just getting yourself checked out to pet your mind at ease would be good . . But do yourself a favor and steer clear of als sites . . . Let the trained guys do that otherwise your anxiety will rocket ! ! Hope all turns out well for you . . God bless . . Alex

I just wanted to post an update. I went to a solidly recommended Neurologist today and waited with my wife... she was truly supportive. After all your messages I was telling myself that I don't have this or anything else... until my right ear started ringing and the ear canal felt numb. What did I do... thought I read about the ear clog feeling being an ALS symptom and on the same side as my hand... more on that...

I went to the doc and he came in and realized almost right away that I was distraught. He came over and was very consoling and said in 30 minutes i'm going to tell you whether you have ALS or Parkinsons or not. He went through a bunch of different things and at the end of it he patted my hand and said that he was certain that almost all of this was stress in my life and anxiety, a little carpel-tunnel or stress on my hands being that I work over 60+ hours a week on the computer and potentially some essential tremors in my hands. He said he gets them and some other surgeons that he knows. Nothing is 100% but when I walked out of the office I had no ringing in my ears and no feeling of shaking or tremors in my hands.

FEAR and ANXIETY are by far the most powerful things that I've ever experienced in my life. Its amazing that even though I know they can do horrible things to your body that I still manifest symptoms that make me feel horrible and frightened. Hopefully the tremors will go away and I can now relax. A doctor cannot assure you 100% that you don't have something but he said not to worry about this... as you all did. Again, thanks for all the comments of comfort. You guys are great... have a good holiday!

That is fantastic news, and it sounds like you had a very compassionate doctor, and they are rare these days, at least where I live anyway. Good for you.

You are going to be fine, just work on the anxiety and get back to living and loving:D

Take Care

Robynn:D

Though I'm trying to put my fears and anxieties away I have still been having the twitches. I was hoping if I asked a few more questions if you all could help.

The twitches - they come and go and and I primarily notice them when working on a computer and just noticed them when trying to text. It scared me because the twitches kept me from being precise when using a blackberry's little keyboard. I've been having pain in my wrist and in the big pad muscles of the hand but very sporadic and not long-lasting. Again, its primarily my thumb and index finger on my right hand and I am right handed. Its almost as though I know when my hand wants to twitch or what circumstances it cause the twitch... holding a book or working on the computer. When I bend my arm a certain way or, again, do certain things I get the twitches.I don't notice any twitching when the hand is at rest. Does anyone know whether this is symptomatic of ALS, though I know everyone is different?

I guess I read here on these forums because I still am very bugged by the twitches.

Is it, at all, in my interest to go the distance and ask the neurologist to do an EMG on my hand? I've read some people on here mention to definately go see a neurologist with neuromusclar disease specialization. Yes friends, I just don't know what to do because the symptoms of what i'm having are just utterly depressing me and I wish I had answers. Any thoughts?

Last week you were very happy because the Neurologist told you that you had nothing to worry about. As you said yourself stress and anxiety are very powerful factors in our life and can manifest themselves in odd and concerning ways. Twitching alone is not indicative of ALS. I would put this behind you, believe your Dr and enjoy your life with your wonderful and supportive wife. Everytime you get anxious think back to your Dr telling you very confidently not to worry!

It sounds very like CTS as your neurologist said. NCS could tell you for certain isf you are still bugged. I have CTS on NCS but have little problem except jerky fingers every now and then. I have posted re difference between Myokymia and Fasciculations before. Try and find them doing a search. Fasciculations would not make anything you type inaccurate , but Myokymia could. Both of course are mostly benign and just a bit of a nuisance. I am just rushing out to work, so any other questions I can answer when I get home
Aly

How are things going, any updates ?

My case could be similar.

After lots of computer overuse, I started getting this sideways twitch of my index finger. That was in August. Finally calmed down in September but my finger has felt weird since plus I am a very anxious type and would not stop focusing on it.

I changed all my ergonomic features at work and moved my mouse to the other had. Before was using laptop with thinkstick. Overused it with index finger on work and games.

Scared the hell out of me.

I thought it was getting better but in Oct it came back and I freaked out and eventually moved to an anxiety med which helps. Been on that for 4.5 weeks. Part of the reason for the meds was that I started getting other symptoms that could be traced to the anxiety. Those have since gone away.

In Novemeber I thought I was better then after lifting a heavy object it came back again that day. Went back to overfocusing on the issue and would not let it go.

I went to a neurologist finally. Mine had no bedside manners. Passed initial tests. Passed blood/urine test. Wants to do a MRI to rule stuff out but expects nothing there.

It did not twitch while there so she told me to stop protecting the finger and do my everyday stuff and it should show up and then film it. It did after lots of activity.

Lately, last week or so been busy doing lots of activity using hands which must have aggrevated something. Now if I pressed hard on the index finger it shakes. Its shaking more now then lately but I think I aggrevated whatever it is.

What I am looking for and maybe yourself too is reassurance or ideas of what it could be and what to do about it. Stretch, exercise ? A chiro I am seeing for a shoulder injury (other shoulder) told me to use a tennis ball to squeeze and a rubber band for the other direction for exercise but that seems to have made it worse.

Not sure if its a nerve, tendon or what. Any idea ?

Obviously, I am still anxious and obssesed about it since I am reading and posting.

By the way they keep telling me its not CTS because I don't have other symptoms. My doc has not seen the twitch yet (video). wants me to wait until after MRI so we could go over both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back