tc88

Country
US
State
CA
City
SF
Hi, folks.

I'm writing with some trepidation over pestering folks who know they've got a problem when I'm still just worried I have one. I very much admire you all in how well you seem to cope. I hope not to impose too much, but I need to talk about my situation.

A month ago I started to get occasional spasms in my left hand. Within a week, I was getting twitching in my calves, and noticing extreme fatigue in my legs and forearms. (I'm used to walking miles at a time, and now four or five blocks leaves my legs sore and exhausted, like I've walked seven miles).

Most alarming, in the last week, I have noticed definite (not perceived) weakness and some loss of coordination in my right index and middle fingers, and what to my eyes looks like atrophy in my right forearm.

Saw a neurologist Friday, and he tested my strength and did some blood work. He basically told me not to worry and call him back if it doesn't improve.

His take was that the weakness was not significant (he tested my ability to moderately squeeze and push), and could be carpal tunnel, and that the twitching (which was calmer at the time of the exam) he couldn't see or feel. He also said on brief visual inspection that he didn't make much of what I worried was atrophy.

I'm not very reassured- the hand squeeze isn't the motion where I have weakness, and I could see and feel twitching in one calf while he looked at the other.

I'm pretty worried that this is how als starts. It does seem like a possibility, doesn't it? I know I just have to wait and see.

I am in awe at how so many of you handle this illness. I don't think I could. Or can, as the case may be.

Regards,

TC

Good news, your symptoms do not at all point to ALS. It doesn't present like the way you describe, you've seen a neurologist (and they look for lots of things) who says it isn't anything to worry about, but if it doesn't improve he'll check you again. I feel sure it isn't going to be ALS should he check you again. TC, whatever started your problems happened too quickly in a too widespread way, and what you call "weakness" is not ALS weakness. I understand that you're concerned, but my best guess is that by being concerned, the problems are exacerbated.

If you want more information, please do go to the top of this page and click on the "Do I have ALS..." phrase, and when you get to the new page look at the stickys at the top--those permanent threads which give loads of information, and read. Hopefully you will see how different you are and will relax. Praying for your peace of mind.

If your Neuro was not very concerned then you should not be either. Take your Neuro's advice wait and see what happens over the next couple of months and if you still have concerns then make a follow up appointment. If you would have real (not perceived) weakness then your Neuro would have picked it up during th eexam. My Dr's noticed the weakness before I realized I had weakness, they picked it up doing the same pushing and pulling tests you referred to.

So do not allow your mind to obsess about this, remember all of the odd's are in your favor and your Dr. believes you are healthy! So be thankful and enjoy all that life has to offer!

Don't let one doctor decide there is nothing wrong..
There is obviously something going on..
The worry will eat you up...
Worry may be the cause .. who knows.
Get a second opinion..

Thank you for your responses. I really appreciate your time. However things turn out, I'm grateful for your advice. I wish the best for all of you.

TC

I third the way too widespread all at one whack :) Doesnt start that way. Good Luck to you TC!

Thanks for the reassurance, limegreen. Hoping for the best.

TC

I too have had an onset of problems that seem to have taken hold of me in the last few month. Feeling very achy with muscle pain. Dr. thought it was autoimmune and put me on Mobic and an antibiotic. Joint paint subsided some but muscle pain continued and then the muscle twitches started and not one part of my body has not been affected. So my question is if symptoms don't present themselves this waywith als... Do they attack a certain limb and notice some twitching and then weakness or atrophy and then it will progress from there. My symptoms do seem to be all over. and could very well be stressed induced. have not noticed any weakness maybe tired and a little crampy but in both calves that the tightness will come on suddenly and them go away on its own and then move to the next leg. I see neuro on Mon for EMG. Just praying that this is totally stress or just a virus lingering. Any insite?

ALS will begin in one region starting with its hallmark noticeable and clinical weakness gradually losing ability over time. It wont happen all in one week but it will definitely be noticeable not just unable to lift as much weight as you did last week or anything like that. Then will come focal twitching later followed by atrophy much later. It will take out one limb before it starts on another and from some opinions it will work its way in a clockwise direction around your body. Not sure if I find this significant in my research but some hold to it. But it is one limb at a time not widespread. If you have more than one body part feeling affected its not ALS.

Lastly twitching is not diagnostic of ALS it happens in so many diseases and even in healthy people. Twitching in ALS will be most commonly found after significant weakness has been Clinically documented example not being able to turn your cars keys in the ignition or falling due to foot drop. And this also happens in many different diseases. Even in my disease MNM, our first sign of the disease is footdrop and/or wrist drop...and I dont have ALS. I'm dirty all over, twitch like crazy, speech problems, right arm and right leg weakness, atrophy, and still NO ALS! Hope this helps :)

Thanks Limegreen. I go for EMG tomorrow. Still praying! I am still getting widespread twitches but my left calf muscle is cramping now and not my right. The same tightness that comes on quickly and then releases. I don't have any weakness. Still able to walk normal and go up and down stairs. Have done strength tests by jumping up stairs with both feet at the same time, standing on one foot, squating up and down, muscle still works but hurts like heck. Does muscle weakness follow cramping and how long before it would present itself. Like I said before this weird roller coaster has been going on for almost 3 months. Each day my symptoms are different. Anyone have any insight to the cramping and weakness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back