Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Houston
hi everyone im sorry i keep on returning to the forum but i promise you all this will be the last time
so ill try to keep it as short as possible:
-Im 19 years old
-i've been feeling weak for the past month or so...but i know its not clinical weakness cuz i can do a pushup and walk down/up stairs as well but do feel as if my legs and arms arent 100%...i ran probably 100 meters this weekend full speed and didnt trip but i've read here that even pple with ALS can still run

-my right arm and right hand feel weaker or not as well co-ordinated as before esp my fingers

-my jaw has been getting tighter...i used to have clicks in my left side of my jaw but now its only on the right and it feels as if the entire jaw is getting tighter. I dont THINK i have any problems swallowing food or drinking. I do sometimes feel a lump in my throat after eating food...i do at times feel as if my saliva is thick and mucus-like

-the neurologist said i have ankle clonus in my right leg (which is where im also having twitching in my toes) (i've had a surgery in that leg in childhood to correct the fact that i walked on my toes) i've been having this weird clumsy feeling in my ankle while i walk but i havent been tripping or falling YET. the neurologist blew off the fact that i have ankle clonus and said it was caused by the surgery but i've never had this clumsy or "weird" feeling before in ankle.

-I had only 1 EMG test done and that was in my right leg region (from near my ankle to right below my knee region) and the doc said everything was normal

-the day after the EMG test i noticed the twitching in my toes in the right food and slight atrophy on the bottom of my right foot...i also feel as if my toes on my right foot arent curling down all the way as in my left foot...plus while i walk i feel as if the soles of my right foot arent completely down as it is in my left foot

What do you guys think? Any tests I can perform to reassure myself?
Im truely sorry I know many well be frustrated but I promise this is my last post

I am sorry you are having these symptoms but if the doctor said you are o.k. then you need to listen to them, they are the experts. If your symptoms continue to persist then go back in 6 months or sooner and get rechecked. If your EMG was clean you do not have ALS. Celebrate in that and enjoy life you are way to young to be worried about such things.

Nsg1,

If you aren't clinically weak, and you have a clean EMG, you don't have ALS. Nor does your experience sound like any other motor neuron disease. There isn't much we can do to help you, since this is a motor neuron disease support forum.

You had surgery on your foot as a little kid, and you have enjoyed since then the greater flexibility of tendons and such that childhood and puberty brings. But you're an adult now, and that cushion is gone. My husband was born with a club foot and operated on just before he was 1 year old. He was an active kid and did fine, but not just his foot but his entire leg never grew to full size. To this day, the leg is about 2/3 as muscular as his normal leg, and his shoe size is 12 on one foot and 8 1/2 on the other! As he exited puberty, his flexibility began to naturally wane, and although he lives a full life still, he does so with a limp and some weakness in that leg, because after the surgery, there was just less give. Clonus is called a "deep TENDON reflex" for a reason.

I am sure these changes, including in the shapeliness of your bad foot, will settle down as you enter your 20's, and you too will adjust. My hubby is a black belt and teaches karate in his hobby time, including aggressive high kicking. The fast reflexes he shares with your in his "bad" leg make it wicked fast, and in sparring, every touch counts.

The brain is a powerful thing, and worry unfortunately can bring on symptoms of its own. The swallowing sensation you described is called globus, and it is a common sign of anxiety. Unlike motor neuron disease, anxiety and worry can hit you in many different places (in your case, in your right arm and jaw, for instance). It can also cause perceived weakness, as can depression or many other states of mind. The more you worry about your health, the worse it will feel. There's no shame in that, and when you've accepted your doctor's results, those symptoms should ebb away.

If you go back to not worrying, and you still having widespread symptoms, get checked 1/year for safety and sanity's sake. Otherwise, do life, and trust your doc!

Hey homey that clicking jaw is called TMJ...go giggles it and they have a support group for that as well. Clicking has nothing to do with ALS. If my EMG was clean, I'd be doing back flips and prolly throw cake at someone just for the fun of it...well I'd prolly do that dirty or no dirty..but alas I am a dirty fibber.

Oh and that clonus thing its non diagnostic without weakness and a dirty. I heard no mention of any kind of weakness in your story and to be the only and I mean only person with ALS in the world without weakness..you would be one for medical miracle and wonder. I mean you are probably special but ya aint that special. Try to be logical about this and move on with your life.

Every second you waste typing away the same old post here is a second of your life wasted. I'm here bc I'm avoiding homework...whats your excuse love? :)

thank you for ur responses
i think this may be my last question here since i've tried to do some researching and havent found an conclusive answers

Can an EMG done a few weeks prior in a leg catch foot drop before one actually notices the effects of foot drop?

Thank you
sorry for these excessive questions

hi everyone im sorry i keep on returning to the forum but i promise you all this will be the last time
so ill try to keep it as short as possible:

Im truely sorry I know many well be frustrated but I promise this is my last post

But, you promised.....:!:

im just really scared... my toes are slightly drooping on the right foot and there is discomfort and pain when i curl them down and i've noticed that they constantly have fasiculations

By the time you have foot drop you have lost half of the motor neurons needed to reinnervate the nerve so your EMG couldve picked up the changes 6 months or more before your foot drops love. So the answer is NO your EMG would not have missed it a few weeks prior to foot drop. It is medically impossible being that the cycle of denervation and rennervation is about 6 months. To reiterate, it is impossible for a muscle to be perfectly healthy in the leg and then in a months time have denervated all the way to the point of foot drop. Its just not the way it works honey buns.

I swear I'm experiencing de ja vu..lol...but I hope this helps however it wont help at all until you see a psychiatrist for the health anxiety. Please consider it love.

Hi thank you guys for ur responses
limegreenphysicist i had a question for you tho:

the day after my EMG exam which came out normal for my right LEG, i began to have fasiculations in my toes in my right FOOT. The toe isnt twitching its more like moving slightly on the side and then going back to its original position and i believe it happens all day and its been happening for close to 2 1/2 weeks. And i sometimes feel pain in those toes that have these fasiculations. And im afraid that if i had to do an EMG exam in my toes or in my foot something horrible would show. Am I right? Thank You and I really appreciate your input.

I'm gonna break it down for ya...one last time..

a) You had your LEG emged, which contains the muscles that control your foot, and it was normal NO ALS!

b) You do NOT have muscles in your toes lol...and only one testable muscle in your foot of which they do not test because it is renervated by the nerves in your LEGS!

c) Fascics are non-diagnostic of anything..my husband has them, a bartender friend of mine has them all over, and all the peeps on the BFS site has crazy ones.

d) You are NOT right!

e) You NEED to see a psychiatrist at this point for health anxiety.

Exclaimer: I am not a doctor nor do I claim to be one. I work as an observer for a Neuromuscular Physician and I am a Pre-Med student, and a patient. But geeze it doesnt take an MD to see you do NOT have ALS!

If you PM me I will talk to you just so you quit harassing the forum with the same questions. So hit me up and dont start another thread with the same questions.

Love,
Kel Bel

Hormones! not als! quit worrying, you will be fine!

all support for limegreen, stop now please. your impersonal pleads for attention are taken seriously by people with bigger stuff to deal with. if you commit a crime, i understand you will get all the attention you require. please do that instead.
tony

Um I'm not the one wanting attention. I know what my diagnosis is. Are you confused? This is nsg thread. If there is a problem with me please pm and tell me what it is. lol

hi ok sorry tony
im really scared about my ankle clonus cuz its a sign of UMN problems and that isnt picked up by an EMG and im sure i've never had this discomfort before with my ankle before...but i have had a negative babinski test.

and reading up ALEX SCARED's post about breathing problems i havent really had breathing problems yet but i feel as if i try to breath deeply my lungs arent at full capacity as they were a few months back...

could i pls get some input? no replies make me even more nervous/scared
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back