00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Hamilton
Good afternoon :)

I was wondering if someone could comment on something that's been troubling me of late. I am a 34 year old male, an IT analyst by profession. I type a LOT. Lately I've been feeling symptoms that could probably be described as repetitive stress injury type feelings. Pain in my thumb, feelings of loss of dexterity as a result, etc.

My grandmother passed away from ALS in her 70's, and I'm unsure of any genetic link to the condition.

I guess my real question is - how might someone know if what they were experiencing warrants a trip to the doctor?

My left hand, the one that seems most affected, feels a little clumsy, but I think that could be me somatizing. There is a definite pain in the left thumb, sometimes travelling up the left forearm. The hand tires easily right now.

Are these symptoms indicitive of ALS in any way?

I almost feel foolish posting, but it is obviously bothering me, and I thought i'd ask.

Thanks folks :)

I don't think you should worry about ALS. If you were experiencing ALS symptoms they would be different. It would be weakness and manifest itself as dexterity issues. You would not be able to do things like button your shirt. It was be a permanent condition, it would not be there sometimes and go away.

If you are still concerned about it you should see a neurologist.

I don't think you should worry about ALS. If you were experiencing ALS symptoms they would be different. It would be weakness and manifest itself as dexterity issues. You would not be able to do things like button your shirt. It was be a permanent condition, it would not be there sometimes and go away.

If you are still concerned about it you should see a neurologist.

Thanks, Joe. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Just wondering folks, after doing some reading - if the weakness experienced in early stage ALS is something that progresses slowly and over time, what would distinguish something like the feelings from repetitive stress/thumb tendonytis from a concern towards ALS?

RSI is associated with pain and sometimes weakness. ALS does not have pain in the joints. If you have pain it's NOT ALS . You have no symptoms of ALS so you can happily drop it from your list of worries.

Aly

Was just thinking about your symptoms. You could well have a median nerve neuropathy ( carpal tunnel) . It's common especially in your type of job. A definite cause of pain and loss of dexterity/weakness. You probably should have ncs done as you need to stop any permanent damage from occurring.

hi recover.
i agree with alyoop,the pain traveling up your arm is a classic symptom of nerve damage.
my left arm is disabled since a child and i have been experiencing the exact same symptoms as you,this is because my elbow is badly mangled and its now effecting the nerves down into my hand.
i also have twitching in the hand and atrophy in the palm and thumb that has progressed very very slowly over the last 2yrs or so.
i do have weakness in both hands but that is down to pls.
you do need to get it checked out before any further damage develops.

Thanks guys. I suppose I should make an appointment to have it looked at.

I also want to say a couple of things, if I could.

In a way, I regret even posting here. I am a bit of a hypochondriac by nature, and have had a couple of bouts over the years of ALS fears - this is the 2nd time, actually. And although the symptoms I am experiencing are indeed uncomfortable, I feel as though I have overstepped a boundary, personally, with you all here.

While I was here, I made a point of visiting the other forums, not just 'Do I have ALS'. The things I read have shaken me deeply. You all are some of the strongest people I have ever encountered, and I will never possess the strength that any of you do and must use on a daily basis. I stress over much in my life - finances, career, health - and for what? For something that may or may not ever come? You guys have got shit figured out, I think - yes, you are dealing with a terrible condition - but from some of the things I've read, you take each minute of your life and value it probably more than the schleps like me roaming this planet.

I envy all of you, I really do. I also feel a sense of regret knowing I will never have the kind of strength and compassion you do. But if anything, being in your presence has made me want to be a better person.

Maybe today that will make you smile one extra time - you all seem to smile enough as it is - knowing that you've had a positive interaction on some random guy that exists out there.

Thanks.

-Dan

hey dan,you seem a nice compassionate and down to earth person yourself and its natural to have fears when you seen a relative deal with mnd.
and you did make me smile lol.
i am sure your ok but get your arm/hand checked out.
take care, caroline

Wow, What a nice thing to read. Yes you have put a smile on my face. You have lost someone to ALS so no one here does not understand your fears. As for not thinking you would ever be strong enough.....you would be surprised what strength a person has within, when try need it. This forum has certainly helped me look at life from a different angle. If you take away from this forum that you want to be a better person, then you were supposed to be here. Good luck and bless you

Aly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back