Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Yorkshire
City
York
Hello everyone i am new here.....I hope you can help me.

I was just wanting to know.....What are the chances of a man aged 31 getting ALS/MND?
Could some kind person on here give me all the statistics, risk factors, age ranges regarding this?......I would like to know what my chances are of getting MND in percentage terms such as 5% or 2% and so on.

Cheers.

The incidence rate is 2 per 100,000. If you go to the ALSGA website there is a lot of good information to be found.

Ok thanks for that TedH5 but in percentage terms what would be my chances of developing ALS/MND?

According to the wesite I will link below this is your odds:
Statistics is a useful tool for describing the chance of something. An example is the postulate that: the average age for people being diagnosed with ALS is 65 and the standard deviation is 9 years. The average age is easy - the average age of people being diagnosed with ALS is 65 and (using the standard deviation):

•A tiny fraction, 0.03 %, of those diagnosed with ALS are younger than 38 or older than 92 at the time of diagnosis.

•About 5.00 % will be younger than 47 or older than 83 at the time of diagnosis

In other words the chance of getting ALS before the age of 38 is negligible. The chance of getting stress or something else letting one to think about ALS or similar diseases before the age of 38 is of course much larger

ALS symptoms, statistics, treatment, and videos

I'll do the math for you

2 / 100,000 = 0.00002 X 100 = 0.002%

Do you have any reason for wanting these numbers or are you just interested? Lest I open the floodgates I don't want to know what they are but I would say that your "chances" are lower than the above figures because of your age.

I'll do the math for you

2 / 100,000 = 0.00002 X 100 = 0.002%

Do you have any reason for wanting these numbers or are you just interested? Lest I open the floodgates I don't want to know what they are but I would say that your "chances" are lower than the above figures because of your age.

Cheers Barry......Well i do have a few issues so that is why i was asking for some info....I issues in my leg and a problem with swallowing and getting short of breath quite a bit over the last week or two.....Earlier on i went out to my local shops and i was stood at the traffic lights and my left leg sort of gave way, I did not fall over but it bent or twitched and after that i carried on walking.

According to the wesite I will link below this is your odds:
Statistics is a useful tool for describing the chance of something. An example is the postulate that: the average age for people being diagnosed with ALS is 65 and the standard deviation is 9 years. The average age is easy - the average age of people being diagnosed with ALS is 65 and (using the standard deviation):

•A tiny fraction, 0.03 %, of those diagnosed with ALS are younger than 38 or older than 92 at the time of diagnosis.

•About 5.00 % will be younger than 47 or older than 83 at the time of diagnosis

In other words the chance of getting ALS before the age of 38 is negligible. The chance of getting stress or something else letting one to think about ALS or similar diseases before the age of 38 is of course much larger

ALS symptoms, statistics, treatment, and videos

Cheers.....Thanks alot for that info Tedh5....So my chances would be around 0.01-0.03%?.....Obviously not totally impossible but the odds are very low aren't they.

Nothing is impossible...but yes the odds are low. To be honest though statistics and odds and probability will not diagnose you. If you have symptoms that concern you see a Dr. The worst thing you can do is speculate and allow your mind to gravitate towards the worst case scenario. See a Dr and hopefully he can resolve your concerns quickly!

Good luck!

Hello everyone i am new here.....I hope you can help me.

I was just wanting to know.....What are the chances of a man aged 31 getting ALS/MND?
Could some kind person on here give me all the statistics, risk factors, age ranges regarding this?......I would like to know what my chances are of getting MND in percentage terms such as 5% or 2% and so on.

Cheers.

Hi TStewart.

I couldnt tell you what your chances of getting MND but all i was told was its very rare to get at my age (35) so the percentages must be very low.
I went to see a doctor back in may this year as i noticed a bit of weakness in my right hand aswell as twitching. Doc didnt know what it was! (she must have been all of 26-27) got referred to neurologist 2 week later, told i needed a few tests which took place about 2 week after that. Results came back in no time at all, and was promptly told i had MND on July 8th.
It was then i was told how rare it was, and even more so in younger people! Id never even heard of it.
Chances are your problems are due to something else. Go see your doctor if your worried, i think you could end up reading too much into it by looking on the internet and end up thinking you have something worse than what it actually is.

Good luck
Chris.

Hi TStewart31,

Sorry to hear about your concerns, I too am worried about MND/ALS and i am only 28.

Hi TStewart.

I couldnt tell you what your chances of getting MND but all i was told was its very rare to get at my age (35) so the percentages must be very low.
I went to see a doctor back in may this year as i noticed a bit of weakness in my right hand aswell as twitching. Doc didnt know what it was! (she must have been all of 26-27) got referred to neurologist 2 week later, told i needed a few tests which took place about 2 week after that. Results came back in no time at all, and was promptly told i had MND on July 8th.
It was then i was told how rare it was, and even more so in younger people! Id never even heard of it.
Chances are your problems are due to something else. Go see your doctor if your worried, i think you could end up reading too much into it by looking on the internet and end up thinking you have something worse than what it actually is.

Good luck
Chris.

Hello there Chris......I don't really know what to say....It must be very hard for you and to get MND at such a young age is devastating and i cannot imagine what you are going through.

I will go and see my doctor.....hopefully it is nothing serious but i am only 4 years younger than you.

Best Wishes,

TSttewart31.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back