Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
OR
City
Portland
Hi Everyone -

My GP referred me to a neurologist after examining me and saying something to the effect of "whatever it is, I think we've caught it early." With that said, I have to wait 4 more weeks to see the neurologist (it's been three already) and time is weighing heavily on me.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on my symptoms, and whether my symptoms relate to them. I'll try to be inclusive and list everything.

1. First symptom started in the beginning of August this year. I woke up and my left thumb was twitching. Thought it would go away, it didn't. The twitching (which my GP said were "fasciculations") have since spread everywhere in my body. Feet, calves, rear-end, arms, face, you name it. They vary from large thumpers that move the affected area a small amount, to tiny little repeated twitches.

2. Sore neck, back and left calf. The neck and back seem to have resolved. The left calf bothers me from time to time and feels like it's about to cramp up, but never has.

3. About a month ago I cut the hedge outside and the hedge trimmer seemed heavy-ish but I finished OK. When I put the trimmer down and went to text my Wife my right hand (that was holding the trimmer) went to all out tremors and I physically couldn't text. These shakes were very different from the usual twitches or fasciculations I get. After I rested for 10-15 minutes everything was ok.

4. Mouth Stuff - In the morning I typically wake up with a very dry mouth. This always goes away at some point and turns into excess saliva where I actually have to concentrate on swallowing. Sometimes my mouth - in terms of dryness/saliva feels more or less OK. Tongue seems to jump around a bit, and occasionally I think I have a slight lisp and perhaps even spitting when I talk. For around a week or two I also had the constant sense of drool at the corner of my mouth. This resolved, and I never actually drooled. Lately my voice has been pretty hoarse. It seems to kind of come and go. If I have a long stressful conversation I can start sounding like Dirty Harry. But other times I sound sort of OK. Depends on how much I've been talking. Drinking water actually seems to help soothe out the hoarseness. Speaking of drinking water, sometimes when I drink it, it feels like it's coming up my left nostril. Might just be in my head, but I do feel as though I need to blow my nose sometimes after drinking water (not so much with thicker liquids).

Thanks in advance for all who take the time to respond. Those of you who have been diagnosed, my thoughts are with you. I can't imagine the difficulties of walking the ALS path.

ALS and other MNDs generally start in one localized place and don't wax and wane in such a large way, so I wouldn't be worried about MND. Twitches, fasculations, and tremors are all very general neurological symptoms (or even muscular disease symptoms), and the most important clinical symptoms are the ones you have to be trained and objective to notice. So I would guess you have a long list of tests in front of you to narrow things down.

Thanks for your time Beky. I'll keep you updated.

I would not even want to speculate. I know you are seeking answers, unfortunately you will have to wait and see what the Dr's say.
Sorry I can't help you. I hope that everything goes well and you get good news!

Thank you Ted.

Focusing on the positive:

My body is strong. I can still do the same amount of pushups as before so no objective weakness.
I've read that GERD/post-nasal drip can cause some of the mouth issues I've been having.
I'm relatively young - mid 30's.
No body weakness after almost 3 months of twitching is good. Just leaves the potential "bulbar" issues. Anyone want to chime in on the stuff going on with my mouth/throat/sinus?

Thanks for taking your time to read and respond.

No muscle weakness is an excellent sign!

I woke up in the middle of the night literally spitting out saliva. I actually remember I was having a dream where all of a sudden I needed to brush my teeth, and of course when I finished brushing I had to spit everything out. That's when I woke up - with me spitting a whole pile of saliva on my pillow (sorry for the grossness, I KNOW this is super weird). Has anyone had anything similar to this occur?

ok update. went to neuro today. he sort of ignored my bulbar issues. said it could be one of twenty or thirty things at this point. said he was concerned that my reflexes in my arms were not symmetrical. one arm jumped a little and the other one barely at all. wants me back in two weeks to see if they present similarly or more symmetrically. didnt do an emg. anyone know about symmetry in reflexes? what a nightmare.

when it comes to your dream, i wouldnt look into that too much.
its sort of understandable- you were dreaming of brushing your teeth and needing to spit- and you woke up spitting...
ive had dreams of peeing for a really long time and woke up peeing. gross, yes. But does that mean there is something wrong with my bladder or kidneys? no.
i do not have an answer for you about the reflexes, sorry.

I do hope that you find an answer soon and i will pray that its not ALS.

If I was examining you...as a young person brisk reflexes are normal but I would be more concerned with the loss of reflexes hypoflexia in the one leg. This is a symptom of neuropathy not ALS but really neither is diagnostic until it is pronounced. Let us know what he observes on the next visit. Many things can affect reflexes so I'll be interested to hear what he has to say at your next visit but I wouldnt worry about ALS. Do you have any other health issues?

just to be clear i had hyper active reflexes in both my legs but the neuro was not very concerned about that because the reflexes were symmetrical. my arms were a different story. one arm junped a bit while the other didnt move at all. thats what he wants to recheck. thanks for your response. what is neuropathy? why would you dismiss als?

I love you Joel..I have too many reason to dismiss ALS to list but yes check out that link it will help. and you giggled your way to ALS so giggle neuropathy..wikipedia is the man. Its not life threatening so dont panic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back