Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
UK
City
UK
I am getting more and more worried, A week and a half ago i had a Neurological Examination done by my GP.

I also had a mini Neurological Examination done by another GP yesterday.

As you know i am a 29 year old male.

These are my symptoms:-

Mouth/Jaws seems weak, It feels difficult to chew food, It's like my mouth is really weak and chewing takes a lot more effort and i just seem slower at eating, My mouth also feels numb.

Sometimes i feel as if i have difficulty swallowing, Also whenever i swallow there feels like there is a lump in the mouth, My throat also feels tight.

Lip Twitching (NEW SYMPTOM) This started today, I had it almost instantly for up to an hour and it really worried me.

My Tongue seems tingly quite often and feels numb quite often too.

I have a constant ache/pressure in my face and in my cheekbones and near my ears which can get worse when eating.

Twitches in other parts of the body such as arms, legs, face and in my eyes.

Pain in the knees, elbows, neck and back.

Arms, Legs and other parts of the body feel weak, sometimes when i am writing it seems a little difficult.

I also get pins and needles and in my hands and feet and tingling in my arms, legs, face and other parts of the body.

I am extremely worried, No-one has said that i slur but i am worried about ALS/MND and i am also worried by the Bulbar Onset of ALS/MND.

I know there are no doctors on here but what do you think about my problems?

Worriedguy,

Keep working with your doctors to try and figure out what's causing your symptoms. It sounds like you have something going on, but it doesn't sound ALS from what I understand. The widespread weakness (not focal), the pains, aches, tingling, numbness etc and your age all point away from ALS. With the pain in your knees, elbows, neck and back maybe you should see a neurologist.

Again, no slurring + your age + sensory and pain symptoms = not likely ALS.

Worriedguy,

Keep working with your doctors to try and figure out what's causing your symptoms. It sounds like you have something going on, but it doesn't sound ALS from what I understand. The widespread weakness (not focal), the pains, aches, tingling, numbness etc and your age all point away from ALS. With the pain in your knees, elbows, neck and back maybe you should see a neurologist.

Again, no slurring + your age + sensory and pain symptoms = not likely ALS.

Thank you for your post AndyDJX. :smile:

I know age is no barrier with ALS/MND and it can occur in people of any age.

I'm not sure if you have read my previous posts but i am worried about ALS/MND but mainly the PBP form of ALS/MND, I have read that this form of MND usually occurs in people over 50 is that right?

My mouth just feels really weak and chewing and swallowing do seem a bit difficult like my muscles are wasting and getting a constant twitch in my bottom lip earlier today for quite a long time worried me even more as i know twitches are a symptom too.

My tongue feels odd/numb and sometimes it feels like it is twitching slightly and it tingles too.

I have seen 2 doctors about this and will see them again within the next week but could a doctor tell from examining me if i had any form of ALS/MND? or the PBP form of ALS/MND? Could they tell by looking at my tongue or something? I just wondered if a doctor could tell if you had it before referring you to a Neurologist?

I didn't mean to suggest that your age means you can't have ALS, it just makes it far less likely. Remember that ALS is rare, and ALS at a young age is really rare.

Don't focus too much on the twitches either. Sure, they come with ALS, but they also come with tons of other things as well. And sometimes they just happen; BFS is very real and plenty of people live with that condition. Sensory symptoms such as tingling, numbness and soreness are not uncommon in BFS either.

Follow up with your doctors, and let us know what they say. Good luck; try to keep your anxiety low and your thoughts about ALS at a minimum if you can.

Thanks again.

I have been on anti-depressants for 3 weeks due as about a month ago i had a panic attacks, I don't think the anti-depressants would be causing my twitching and weakness though.

I would like my doctor to do another Neurological Exam on me if possible and see what they think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back