Learn about ALS
Country
XX
State
xxxxxx
City
xxxxx
Hello
i have some questions about bulbar als...
does swallowing water make you feel weird?like there is something in the water like little pieces of something
Because i sometimes get that like there is sand or something ..Also do symptoms come and go before they settle in?
Thank you for your time..

by the way i also feel pressure around my cheekbone is this something?/and sometimes my throat is tight like soar tight.....thank you

by the way i also feel pressure around my cheekbone is this something?/and sometimes my throat is tight like soar tight.....thank you

I have a pressure feeling in my cheekbones which i have had for 2 weeks which is worrying me, Do you have MND or are you worried you might have it? How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Im 22 ...im not diagnosed with anything yet im just really worried....i laso have some problem swallowing that come and go and coughing ...i dont really know what it could be...i just hope is nothing serious....

Im 22 ...im not diagnosed with anything yet im just really worried....i laso have some problem swallowing that come and go and coughing ...i dont really know what it could be...i just hope is nothing serious....

I'm 28 and really worried too, I have read that slurred speech is usually the first symptoms of bulbar symptoms and that difficulty swallowing and chewing starts after.

Also it doesn't come and go, It's a weakness and would be constant, I think that's right anyway from what i have been reading.

yes i ve been reading that too but i heard there is also that plateu or smth stage when symptoms seem to lessen but they return...i could be speaking tottal nonsense from what i know...just smth i came across.....i also get twiching and cramps but no weakness so that has got me really worried....

I have bulbar onset. When it first started, my symptoms would come and go. My throat would feel like it was closing up and I would speak nasally. It happened mainly when I was angry, stressed or anything emotional. This went on for about 1 year, then I began to slur my words and certain letters of the alphabet were hard to pronounce. Then my speech became non-understandable.

Judith

I have bulbar onset. When it first started, my symptoms would come and go. My throat would feel like it was closing up and I would speak nasally

Hello judith thank you
im really sorry that you have als
my heart goes out to you
i too feel like my throat is tight...did it felt sore to the touch and did you have any problems with water like me?
ex .feeling theres pieces of food in it or sand when swallowing?
did you feel pressure in face and on cheekbone?
thank you

Last edited:
Hi ally,
My throat did not feel sore to the touch. It was very tiring to carry on a conversation though. I did not have any swallowing issues at first. Now I have great difficulty swallowing, especially water, but no feeling like sand. I felt no pressure on my face or cheeckbones.

oh ...thank you for you reply i have relly worrying symptoms cramps fasciculations and my voice cracks i have lump on throat etc...i dont know what to make of it...i pray to god its not anything serious....only god can help me.....
thank you for your reply
god bless you

Ally, have you been to your GP or neurologist for this?

yes i had three clinical exams by different neurologists and im now waiting for further examination....
also i would like to ask if you dont mind....
how is the problem of swallowing water?
i mean does it feel tight to the throat ?
im sorry if im asking too much....

Last edited:
No tightness.
The muscles in the throat and tongue are becoming paralysed. They do not respond to the command to swallow, so I cannot swallow at will. When I do swallow I usually choke. Thin liquids are the worst, water being the most problematic. Thick liquids like smoothies are ok, so far.

Judith- what part of your throat feels tight? like the bottom right under your chin when you look up? or further down your neck?

Judith- what part of your throat feels tight? like the bottom right under your chin when you look up? or further down your neck?

The muscles used for swallowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back