Loved one DX
Country
US
State
mt
City
choteau
Hey all
its been 2 years since i was on here-at that time my PT guy said i looked like i had foot atrophy-so i went into a huge slide-got to the Mayo clinic in Az and they said i did not have ALS-It was like i was wasting the doctors time(thats the feeling i got) they sent me to the emg guy and i was pretty sure he said something about the emg showing something-however they rushed me through and said i was ok
so for 2 years now i have slowed down my workouts and not treadmilled as much (hardly at all) all the time my foot was twitching-
So here i am 2 years later and i started to work out with legs and treadmill-well i didnt make it very far as my left leg started feeling like it was weak it huts on my hip and down the sciatic nerve to the calf-My foot is now feeling overwelmed as if it wants to not support me very well and like it is not very thick- as well as the twitching and the atrophy is way worse- years ago i could not see really any difference (just slight) now there is a definite difference the arch is sooo high and right behind my big toe the on the side of my foot is no muscle at all
and my foot is twitching like crazy in the arch and the large tendon running to the big toe is firing fast as well as slow--
this is now kicking my ass- i havent been able to spend time with my girlfriend as i am soooo down- My father passed away from ALS in 2003 and i have been an avid weight lifter since then-but like i said my left side symptoms started 6 years ago- then i think im fine then the foot with the PT and now this- i am scared as hell cause i have had the EMG and the electro shock through the body-
Anyway i am headed to my Dr once again on Monday- hes been through this with me since the thought i had ALS entered my mind as i took care of my father and had residual ALS on the mind i guess anyway i really think i am in trouble my foot is terrible
scared as hell
D

Hi D
Im very sorry you are going through all of this and I am sorry about your dad. Though I am not a PALS, I am a CALS. I cant tell you one way or the other if this is ALS. I can tell you that the waiting tends to be one of the hardest parts of all of this. I know there are many things that can cause what you are explaining, but i can also understand why you would be scared of ALS, considering your dad had it and all. But just so you know, if you didnt know already, most cases of ALS are sporatic and not familial. All i can advise is wait to see what the doctors say. Hopefully you wont see the same guy that rushed you through like last time. Tell them you need a better explainaiton. What i can offer you is support and a shoulder. Keep posting. There are alot of wonderful people here.
Good luck to you and I hope all goes well at the doctors. Keep us updated.

Wow, I have the same problem! My right foot arch is so bad and the left is starting to look the same. The twitching and cramping is in both feet. It also feels like the right foot does not grip the floor as well as the other kind of like it is slippery. Still don't know why this is happening!:cry:

LizT
thank you for the kind words-i am very grateful you took the time to post to me and give me some clear thinking for a moment-since my post-of course i have not been able to sleep and my fasics are continuous on my foot as well as
i am now having them all on my left side-shoulders,arms,legs,calves especially. i did manage to make it out to my girlfriends and not be so crappy of company-its ironic- i thought i was getting to a place where i could say all of the symptoms must of just been in my head-all the left sided progressive stiffness,muscle fatigue. fasices. less and less working out cause it made it hard to recover from the pain-as well as loss of breath when i exercised (like asthma caused from exercise-never been a problem before)and on and on-i thought it must be something else-anything but ALS as the odds of me not having ALS are stacked in my favor-So here i am still waiting to see my family dr so he can send me somewhere else in a month if i am lucky-like i said before i am scared as hell -mainly due to the weak leg,and definite arch atrophy along with strong fasics
D

Hi Liz is right many things cause this to happen, most commonly neuropathies. Also it can be hereditary and benign. I have the same in both my feet, with my left toes not even touching the ground anymore. The neuro does not think it is connected to my ?PLS as I have good NCS. NCS should tell whether or not its a neurolpathy, but it is incredibly common. Mine are getting slowly worse, but I try to ignore them.

You will have had NCS at Mayo, so maybe thats what they saw, just common Pes Cavis, They should not have blown you off tho as I bet it costs afortune to go there.
Your anxiety over ALS is understandable given your circumstances. Its hard not to think the worse, when a loved one has passed away fron such an awful illness.
Hope all goes well for you
aly

Hi Aly
thank you for the lifting words- as i always jump to the worst-as of today i have seen my family dr (the one that has been through all this crap with me from day one as he took care of my father) He says -yes there is foot fasiculations but he doesnt see atrophy- he just says the foot is smaller and the arch -well he really didnt answer that -he has set me up for a lumbar mri today as he wants to figure out what is going on with my left leg-so we will be doing that today-fasics woke me up in my foot last nite so they are still there as well as most of my left side and sometimes the right side but not nearly as often-also my reflexes seem just wired up (jumpy)-i think its my stress level gettin the best of me- the leg feels better but i have not been using it much either(trying to go easy on it) all the comments that have been said from the people that have ALS on this site continue to play through my head-knowing from what has been stated it is different for each person(the symptoms-how they start-when or where or how fast) So like everyone else ill go one step at a time and try to get to the answer- My medical records were sent from the Mayo Clinic to my old neurologist who no longer practices in Montana (Great) that is why i never got the results for my tests -and i had the whole battery at the Mayo as i found my schedule-anyway i am waiting for them to come into my family doctor so we can go over them (i hope soon)
anyway thats about it -
Again thank you for taking the time to post and your kind words
David

Cajebe
I am sorry to hear we perhaps have this foot arch thing in common- i hope all turns out well for you as you go through the process- i will post if they find out anything on me that may be helpful to you-sorry to bring up the arch thing just hang in there as everyone says here we cannot diagnose ourselves via the internet we must do via the DR (which takes forever) i am a type A personality so i need things done NOW-so that is my problem i have never been a person that likes to wait- anyway thank you for posting again i hope all turns out well for you
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back