Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
UK
City
UK
I'm from the UK and i am a 28 year old male.

Recently i have had a face pain/ache in my cheekbones and i find it slightly difficult to chew, I can swallow solid food and my speech is normal according to people around me but my face and mouth just seem weak.

I am getting a lot of twitches all over my body and i am getting tingling in my lips and other places as well as pins and needles in my hands, arms, legs and feet.

I went to see my doctor last week and i think i had a Neurological Exam and nothing was said so obviously the doctor didn't notice anything.

I know i am only 28 but i'm not too young to get MND am i? I am seriously worried that i have it.

I think you are too young at your age to has MND.
Bulbar onset normally effect speech first.
Normally the young people who have MND got family history i.e. genetic type. do you ?

I think you are too young at your age to has MND.
Bulbar onset normally effect speech first.
Normally the young people who have MND got family history i.e. genetic type. do you ?

Some people get it in their 20's though don't they? I think i read something about Bulbar onset only accounting for 20% of MND cases.

My speech is definitely ok, There isn't any slurring or anything, What problems would i notice with my speech if it was affected?

There is no family history of MND, My parents are both 50 and are healthy.

Sounds more like TMJ with a healthy case of anxiety thrown in. Your symptoms don't sound like MND but there are no doctors here. Just opinions. I'd go back to the doc and say you're still having the problem.

AL.

Sounds more like TMJ with a healthy case of anxiety thrown in. Your symptoms don't sound like MND but there are no doctors here. Just opinions. I'd go back to the doc and say you're still having the problem.

AL.

Thank you for your message, I went to see my dentist recently and they did a standard check up and checked for TMJ but said i did not have it.

What concerns me is i get a lot of twitching all over and i get pains in my knees and elbows sometimes and other aches and pains plus i get tingling in my legs, feet, hands, arms, face and lips.

I feel like there is a lump in my throat like i cannot swallow properly but when i eat hard solid food i seem to swallow it without too many problems.

Sometimes i just feel like when i open my mouth quite wide my cheekbones hurt/ache and it feels like i am not chewing properly or having difficulty but people around me think i am chewing ok.

And the PBP form of MND terrifies me especially as i am only 28.

I keep thinking i might have the symptoms of Bulbar Palsy but if my speech isn't affected then i guess it might not be something like that?

I'd say no to bulbar because speech is normally affected first and you have too many sensory issues which are not typical in PBP.

AL.

I'd say no to bulbar because speech is normally affected first and you have too many sensory issues which are not typical in PBP.

AL.

Ok, Thank you for your opinion, What about other forms of MND?

When i saw my doctor a week ago they did an examination where they:-

Looked into my eyes.
Made me follow their finger.
Made me walk around.
Made me walk as if i was walking a tightrope and putting one foot infront of the other
I had to stand with my eyes closed and put my arms out infront of me and then put my finger on my nose.
They hit my arms and knees and legs with a rubber hammer and tickled my feet.
I also had to bend one of my legs whilst keeping the other one straight.
They also touched my forehead, cheek and chin and made me screw up my face.
They also looked in my mouth.

This was just a normal doctor that done this not a Neurologist, I presume that was a full Neurological Exam?

Sensory stuff and a broad anrea of symptom onset usually points away from MND in general.

Also, they way the trend works, the weakness, trouble talking, etc don't tend to be noticed as those things by the person experiencing them. We take our own baseline as "normal" and slowly adjust it subconciously. So the guy with hand weakness thinks that his new keys weren't cut right so they don't fit the door lock well, the gal with the beginnings of speech impairment thinks she talks fine, and the beginning of chewing weakness feels mostly like your favorite cooks suddenly overcooking all of your meat into rubbery toughness. Speaking as a PLSer, who thus experiences less weakness, I was apparently doing a a horrible job manipulating food in my mouth, but to a speech pathologist, it was immediately obvious that my tongue was weak. It is rarely US that feels wrong, but the steak, the lock, the invisible bump in the carpet.

Having lots of twitches, spread out, with no weakness is also a good sign!

Wow Becky, that was so well put. what a great way of explaining the beginning of weakness.

Well done. thanks for sticking up for me on a post the other day . It was appreciated.

Sensory stuff and a broad anrea of symptom onset usually points away from MND in general.

Also, they way the trend works, the weakness, trouble talking, etc don't tend to be noticed as those things by the person experiencing them. We take our own baseline as "normal" and slowly adjust it subconciously. So the guy with hand weakness thinks that his new keys weren't cut right so they don't fit the door lock well, the gal with the beginnings of speech impairment thinks she talks fine, and the beginning of chewing weakness feels mostly like your favorite cooks suddenly overcooking all of your meat into rubbery toughness. Speaking as a PLSer, who thus experiences less weakness, I was apparently doing a a horrible job manipulating food in my mouth, but to a speech pathologist, it was immediately obvious that my tongue was weak. It is rarely US that feels wrong, but the steak, the lock, the invisible bump in the carpet.

Having lots of twitches, spread out, with no weakness is also a good sign!

Thank you for your post, Regarding my post above and my examination by my doctor was that a proper Neurological Exam that was done?

I see what you are saying, I have realised my problem with chewing/swallowing but i'm not sure if my muscles are actually weak or not.

I feel like i get tongue twitches but i'm not sure but i know i am getting twitches in my arms, face, legs and other places, I do seem to get funny feelings in my hands like numbness and i get a lot of pins and needles in my hands, feet and legs.

My mouth concerns me more than anything but if i get someone to watch me chewing or swallowing they say i seem totally normal.

AL.

So you wouldn't have swallowing/chewing difficulties before speech problems?

Swallowing and chewing problems involved with bulbar onset are usually caused by tongue paralysis and if you have tongue problems then the first thing to suffer is speech.

I have speech problems at least six months before I had swallowing problems.

Swallowing and chewing problems involved with bulbar onset are usually caused by tongue paralysis and if you have tongue problems then the first thing to suffer is speech.

I have speech problems at least six months before I had swallowing problems.

Thanks BarryG, My speech is normal according to everyone around me and no-one has said i am slurring.

When i saw my doctor a week ago they did an examination where they:-

Looked into my eyes.
Made me follow their finger.
Made me walk around.
Made me walk as if i was walking a tightrope and putting one foot infront of the other
I had to stand with my eyes closed and put my arms out infront of me and then put my finger on my nose.
They hit my arms and knees and legs with a rubber hammer and tickled my feet.
I also had to bend one of my legs whilst keeping the other one straight.
They also touched my forehead, cheek and chin and made me screw up my face.
They also looked in my mouth.

Was this a full Neurological Examination that was done by my doctor?

Also, I forgot to mention that i have a feeling of pressure in my face/cheekbones that i have had for around 2 weeks and is worrying me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back