Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
fl
City
minneola
greetings to all! i hope you are all well when you read these lines. Well, I will like to think as yet another anxious person fearing fro ALS but my symptoms are worrisome. I am 28 years old and the last months have been weird for my health. I started noting that my legs felt weak. Like when you do a lot of exercise and it gets sore. I then started feeling my left arm as if was stiffed. I can type and everything. I just feel that I have to do an extra effort to hold the fork or knife. I just feel my hands kind of weird, as weak. When I mean weak, I mean like a lack of strength. The other day I was trying to clean my office and I will feel my arms extremely tired up to the point where I got hot from the effort. I also get twitches and cramps. The twitches and cramps are more whenever I am laying down or sitting. These are all mostly in my legs.

Then, I started loosing balance. For instance, I could be standing and suddenly I was leaning towards one side having to move my arms to gain balance.

Then the freaky part started. I felt like twitches in the tip of tongue and I feel my tongue heavy when I am speaking. Its as I cannot speak as I want to. I have asked, but nobody seems to note a slurred speech. It feels more as if its swollen. Then on Saturday I talked to my sister for about three hours over the phone (we speak once a month) and by then end of the conversation I had this horrible jaw pain that did not let me catch sleep. Also, I have problems swallowing. It feels thick. I need to drink plenty to get the food down.

I had an EMG done in 2009 since I have back surgery but the neuro said everything was ok. The EMG was done in arms and legs.

Here are my questions:
1. How does it feels your swallowing problems?
2. Does this sounds to you as ALS? Any other ideas?
3. How will you explain your muscular weakness?
4. I am really concern about the jaw pain. This keeps on happening if I talk too much. Does this sounds familiar?
5. I know that there is no answer to how quick it develops, but could could it be possible to have all these symptoms within the last 3 months?
6. Finally, do you think I should get another EMG? I currently do not have medical insurance and i know is costly. Is it possible to develop ALS within this time frame?
7. How did your symptoms started?

I appreciate your time and any input you can give me. I have spent restless nights thinking about this and mostly concerned because I do not have a medical insurance since I cannot afford it right now. Thank you for your time and patience. God Bless.

Hi
I cannot answer all of your questions, but from your symptoms and your worry, it would pay to have a neurological examination, so get to see your GP who can say whether or not you need a refferal to a neurologist.(not sure how it works in your country)
I have only UMN problems at present, and they are developing and have been over at least 3 years. So it seems very fast, but I do not at present have ALS, so I really cannot answer. It does however tend to start in one place ie hand or foot.
Some of your symptoms are similar to some of mine, the weakness and tired muscles. Its worth getting checked.
Be aware that many neurological problems can cause these types of symptoms. There is no reason at all to think ALS. Remember it is not common. Sometimes its just a passing virus, and all comes right.
If you are worried as I said, you have good reason to check it out, but drop the anxiety about ALS or you will find the anxiety will create its own set of nasty symptoms.

Have a lovely day
Aly

maryweyer,

I am sorry you are going through this. I can not answer all of your questions especially because I have not really had any bulbar issues that you are asking about. As far as weakness and what it feels like. To me I thought it was fatigue in my leg. I did not think of it as weakness until they pointed it out to me during exams. As far as does what you describe sound like ALS, my response is that is a question that myself and most of us are not qualified to answer. Keep in mind that often it takes Dr's months to diagnose because the symptoms can be similar to other health concerns many of which are very benign and treatable. So what you are describing can be many things. My suggestion is you find a way to get to a Doctor. I understand that you do not have insurance right now, call around and see if there are some nearby clinics that can help you.

Please do not jump to conlusions and start stressing yourself out. Let us know how it all turns out.
May God Bless you - Ted

Hello both!

Thank you for your input and time. I currently live in Florida and its kind of hard to kind of find a decent and economic medical insurance. I just finished law school and I am packed with student loans. I hope I can get a medical insurance for next month. I have called to several clinics but since its not an emergency, they wont treat me. My husband and I have try to think this logically. We are both aware that is extremely rare this disease, but not impossible. One of our ideas is that my muscles feel like that because I have spent over 3 weeks pretty much just sitting, or laying down. Whenever I do something, then I feel the fatigue in my legs. Its like the next day after whole excersie routine. They just feel sore but i still can do the stairs, walk, etc. Tomorrow is going to be the fire test: I am going to EPCOT for the Wine Festival. Lest see how i endure the whole walking thing for the day. The jaw pain is the most puzzling. Yesterday it happened again. I spoke for over two hours ( not all together) and i felt again the pain and soreness. Might be a good signs that it seems to be everywhere and not only in one place. My concern with the EMG is mostly the price. The last time i did it my copay was almost 400! I dont know how much can show within one year.

I will keep you posted and thank you very much for your time and support. I know anxiety it only makes thing worst so i will try to relax. I wish you both a nice weekend.

God Bless
Mary

The pains you describe point away from ALS. 3 months is too quick for ALS to show like that. Have a good time at Epcot and try to forget your worries.

AL.

Enjoy the wine festival at Epcot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back