Status
Not open for further replies.

5mathr60

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
Hi All,

Firstly I would like to thank anyone whos taken the time to give this a read. I know that a lot of you will be struggling with your own problems so any advice you can give me will be truly appreciated.

I am a 25 year old male. A couple of weeks ago I suddenly noticed that after normal exercise both my legs would ache and burn. Then I noticed that this would happen all day when I was sat down at work, like when you sit in the same position for too long and it gets uncomfortable. When I typed this in to Google one of the links directed me to something about ALS. After looking at the symptoms I reliased that I also had been experiencing horseness that comes and goes and I feel like I excessively salivate and have some problems swallowing occasionally. Also I've noticed that my left hand is a little weaker than my right (I'm left handed by the way) and I've lost a lot of weight recently.

Anyway I wanted to ask if its possible for bulbar symptoms to come along at the same time as the symptoms associated with weakness, muscle wasting.

I do get muscle twitches all over my body especially in my legs but not really on my tongue.

I havent been the docs yet but with all these symptoms I'm afraid that I wouldnt be able to cope with the stress of having to go through the diagnosis process.

Anyway I did search through the stickies for the question I had posed above but didnt see anything so this is why I'm asking here. Anyway thanks in advance for any help or advice you people can give me.

I by far am no expert, but your age alone makes ALS unlikely, not impossible, but very unlikely. Your symptoms sound alot like something referred to as BFS, and if you are going to google your symptoms, it may very well be worth your time to check into to that one.

I'm sure others will come along here and tell you what they think, but nobody on here will be able to lay your fears to rest like going to a qualified neuro, and having them investigate your situation. I share similar symptoms that you describe, and have been for about 8 or 9 months now. I've been to the neuro 5 times over the past 8 months and I've had all the test, except for a lumbar puncture, but I wont be signing up for that one unless someone says its a have to thing. EMG and MRI's have all been clean. If you want peace from your worrisome symptoms, then you will need to see a neuro.

Take Care

Robynn:-D

hi mate . Fairly new myself here but will try and help . . . Firstly your age is very young for als (not impossible but young ) . You also describe limb and bulbar (swallowing etc) symptoms being noticed at the same time . . This does not happen in als . . It starts in one area . . Eg hand then moves to affect that arm . From what i gather simeltanious limb and bulbar symptoms just does not happen. Something i also wouldn over worry about at this time is muscle twitchin . . There are hundreds of reason why muscles start doing this and working out at a gym is a common one . .the best advice i can give is to set your mind at ease by getting checked out by a neuro. They are generally excellent and spot the signs a mile off. Other than that try not to fixate on the internet . It will scare the sh¥t outta you and most of it outdated and in some cases just plain wrong! . . I hope this helps some . . By the way i am big palace fan . . Eeagglles!

Robynn has it right, go to a neurologist, let him tell you it isn't ALS. Get cleared of anything else, then go live your life to the fullest.

You are getting good advice, do not attempt to self diagnose and keep in mind that while the internet is a wonderful thing it is also a very dangerous tool! There is a lot of bad information out there and if you are not careful your mind can run away with wild thoughts. No one on here can diagnose you and there is no Dr. that can diagnose you on line. Please see a Neuro and keep in mind that ALS is a rare disease. I wish yo the best and hope you are able to see a Dr soon!

Thanks to all of your for all your advice, it is all really sound. I will definitely go and see a neuro and get the symptoms checked by a professional.

Good luck to all of you and take care!

Alex - I live not far from Crystal Palace I haven't had a chance to go see them yet but when I do I will give them an extra cheer for you!

Robynann - I hope any more tests you have turn out fine

Ted and Tokahfang - thanks again for your advice!

Oh no...No more test for me. My journey is over as far as I'm concerned. The only way I will get more test is if I wake up and I cant feel something or I cant move something, other than that, I'm done. I got what I got, if it goes away..great, if it stays...I'll manage, just focusing on my family now.

Take care

Robynn:)

Great Robynn. Hope things go well for you.

AL.

Thank you AL, I appreciate that:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back