Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
tn
City
nashville
My mom just went to her primary care doctor and told her that she had beenhaving tremors in her hands (a kind of twitching which she sometimes doesnt even notice) and her legs are somewhat shaky when she goes up on her toes. The Doctoris sending her to a neurologist and mentioned ALS as a possibility, which obviously scared us quite a bit. She has had the shaking for about a two years now and it hasn't gotten any worse. She is 62 and takes care of her two grandchildren for about 10 hours a day and drinks 5 cups of the coffee in the morning along with a diet coke or two during the rest of the day, not to mentionshe is naturally a very anxious person. Her father also has familial tremors and both her mother and father have neuropothy. I think that it has to do with one of those factors rather than it being ALS but I just dont understand why her doctor would say something like that if she didn't think it was likely. I am really worried about her so what do you think that her likelyhood of having ALS is?

I'm sorry you and your mother had to endure such behavior that has caused so much unneeded worry, because it was completely irresponsible for her GP to mention ALS, given her very vague symptoms that can be explained by sooooooooooooo many things (feel free to go kick him/her in the shins, because he/she deserves it). Certainly go to the neurologist and get his/her informed opinion. I hope that helps and please come back and share with us what happens with that appointment. Take care.

given the rare nature of als it does seem strange why so many doc mention it so early ? It almost seems a cruel thing to do . . Surly it must be in the patients interests to protect them from the anxiety a possible als diagnoses brings until it appears a genuine end result . . I sincerely hope that it something else for your mom . I wish you the best of luck. . . Alex

Dear Edith87,
I'm so sorry your GP was so careless! I agree with Wright...a good, hard kick in the shins or (a$$) to him/her for even putting the possibility out there so prematurely.

ALS is so rare, and your mom's symptoms can be attributed to many, many other things. Peace to you and your mom while you search out what's wrong.

Hi,
Sorry for the scare.. and it is scary. I do not think your GP is just grasping, obviously your mom has been through a lot of tests. It is always best to have a neurologist look at her, maybe he will do an EMG, or maybe your Mom has had that? Like I said it is a scary diagnosis, but not as scary as it use to be. I am a firm belier that with the ability to make a motor neuron and the computers ability to combine a cocktail(drug) to fix or stop the progression we are way better then we could be, 5 years back. Also with stem cell we may be able to cure and not just treat ALS. This is the time.. Hope your Mom does not have it, because it is not an easy road.. I did notice you hoping the coffee cased her symptoms, maybe, lets hope. Thank GOD we who live with loved ones suffering from ALS finally have some real hope.
please keep us posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back