Reason
Other
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Hello, I am extremely worried, and I feel my symptoms will lead to an ALS diagnosis. I am 17 years old, and for several months I have been getting widespread fasciculations in areas including my legs, arms, fingers, thighs, buttocks, chin, trunk and even tongue. Not including my tongue, the other fasciculations come when I am at rest. For months having these fasciculations, there was no sign of weakness. In the past I was also getting burning and vibrating sensations, but I know these are not related to ALS. However, a month ago I developed what felt like rhythmic pains in parts of my arms and hands, which I realized were muscle cramps. Still, no weakness was evident. However, I went to the gym with my dad the other day, and I'm a really nonathletic person, and this was my first time going. Working out, I felt no weakness or extreme difficulty, but my left arm sometimes got fasciculations immediately after a workout. My dad commented on how I had a great workout considering it was my first time. The next day however, I woke up without any soreness or pain, but what felt like weakness and heaviness in my left arm. I tried to convince myself it was because I overworked it, but the feeling is still here today, four days later. It is not so much that I have having trouble doing tasks with this arm, but that it feels greatly fatigued and trembles just from holding an object up. The cramps are still occurring in my arms and fingers, and I still am getting fasciculations at rest. I am almost certain i have ALS, because the telltale signs are there. My question is, does my progression of symptoms sound like ALS, and can the weakness just become very obvious one day as it has with me? Also, what does weakness from ALS feel like initially.

Thanks. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

The telltale signs are there? Could you share with us what you think are telltale signs . . . because I'm not seeing it at all. You have obviously been on the internet and have taken a couple of symptoms of ALS . . . which are symptoms of about another gazillion things by the way . . . and somehow fit it to your story. Your story is not the story of someone with ALS. Get off of the internet now before you go down a very dark path, although it appears as if you are already on your way. Turn around and stop these unfounded thoughts. If you want peace of mind, go see your doc and let him/her dispell your fears. Then go enjoy your life.

You know something? I had no clue what a fasciculation was until 4 years ago. I certainly had no clue at 17 years of age.

I agree whole heartedly with Wright...please go to the doc and then do something fun!

Hey buddy ,your OK.I've had the same problems going on a year now. I stressed myself out.Stress is very harmful .Don't let this consume your life.Take it easy you'll be just fine!

did you know that I only noticed twitching in my muscles only after my neurologist told me what it is, and that was a week before I was officially diagnosed with ALS. As Wright said check with a doctor and relax.

It's not normal for a 17 year old to be chatting about "fasciculations"! I was 50 before I ever read or heard the word.

Please, twitches don't mean a thing in the world of ALS. I know this because they are not listed as part of the criteria for an ALS diagnosis.

I wouldn't let the ALS alarm bells go off just yet. Why not wait until you get "foot drop" or experience progressive weakness that sets in to the point where climbing stairs is as much a challenge as scaling Mt. Everest?

Enjoy your twitches. Let them entertain you as I have!

If it was just twitches I wouldn't be worried, but suddenly my left arm is feeling tired from holding up any object, and it's been that way for about 5 days now.

If you had ALS you would not be able to hold up an object and it does not come on that fast. Stop thinking you have ALS because you don't.

Ok what's up? We've had 2 seventeen year olds from Toronto in the last month with twitching here. We had to kick one out of here because of his bad attitude. You guys gotta get a life. Find a girl and forget the twitches. You don't have ALS!

AL.

hi scaredbout Als. . . At 17 years old the odds of you having als would be massive against . . I new here too but have read previous posts of wright and grandpal . . they know what they talkin about . . . . go enjoy the best years of your life . .

Hi all, I've been stopping by now and again and have seen the threads by the previously banned seventeen year old. Whatever the case may be with that poster versus this one, I would like to take this chance to reiterate to any new posters what the PALS and CALS here put into this site in terms of effort, time, and devotion to a place that for many with serious mobility issues is a true lifeline. Overall, they are incredibly generous with their time and support, so to abuse or take for granted that devotion in any way is an extreme disservice to both this site and the many who come here for help and support.

nicey put Kohler. and thank you!

i meant nicely, not nicey. you know how it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back