Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Al
City
Valley
We had the emg done today, close to 3 hours. The neuro said the cervical mri had shown a small place that he did not consider bad. Then he said that the nerves in my husbands right arm were dead. But the other arm and both his legs were ok. He even checked his stomache. He thinks we need a second opinion so they are setting up an appointment at Emory in Atlanta. Is it bad when just one limb shows bad? I can't stand the thought of waiting for now more tests and still don't know how long it will take to set it up.

joni, the term "dead" is not very precise, especially from a neuro. The muscles and nerves with an NCV/EMG study are actually quite active with many conditions. Maybe wright could interpret the actual EMG report if you send it to him in a private message or can post it.

The Emory staff is great, but you will have to stay on top of your doc to get that appt scheduled. And when you do, call the appt phone number every 2-3 days and see if there are cancellations to move your appt up. It works.

joni, saw your other post and it mentioned denervation. Denervation on its own can be caused by many things, including injury, spine issues, etc. Hopefully that will help you guys rest a little easier until you get to Emory.

Best wishes.

He did say denervation in the right arm. You know we don't have a copy of the tests, could I get a copy?

Joni- yes, you are entitled to all copies of your medical records, including actual test results, by law. Call the neuro's office or the actual testing site and ask for the tests. Wright will definitely be able to give you some insight if he is able to review the results.

Good luck!

Sandra

He did say denervation in the right arm. You know we don't have a copy of the tests, could I get a copy?

Any good doctor will provide a copy of test results if you ask. So yes, you can call and get the detailed EMG report.

They might try to tell you it is complicated and hard to read, etc. (and it is) and tell you that you won't be able to understand what it means, but insist on getting a copy anyway. There might be something wright can read from the results that points you in the right direction.

Obviously you do not want any limbs to show up with denervation. That being said the way I understand it in order to be diagnosed with ALS you have to have abnormal results in 3 out of 4 regions. They consider your head & neck 1 region, your arms another, your legs the 3rd and your torso the 4th. Then in your limbs they typically look for 3 seperate muscles in your limb to show denervation. So for example in my arm it was my bicep, tricep and shoulder muscle. They also found 3 seperate muscles in my left leg and then for your torso they usually check your back and need just one muscle and for your head they often check your tongue. I do not know if I have helped you or confused you. Again for 100% diagnosis they look for issues in 3 of the 4 regions and finding 1 muscle in a limb is not usually not enough they want 3 muscles in your limbs.

As far as Emory they have a great staff there and will be able to answer all of your questions and properly diagnose you and point you in the proper direction. I will pray that they find something other then ALS.

Thanks Ted. I had already looked at Emory's web page. The neuro we are going to is in the small town of Lagrange Ga. What I worry about is obviously he has some problems with the getting choked on liquids, and some slurred speech too. Also after reading back on lots of posts, it seems like aalot of times maybe one limb shows up in the beginning and then a few months down the road all of a sudden it is in 3 or 4 limbs. I hope we don't have a long wait to see Dr Glass either. Gosh I pray that it is something to do with the small place on his cervical mri that has something to do with this. I guess all we can do is pray... Hope you are doing well. You are so young to be dealing with all of this. Actually there are a lot of young people on this web ...so so sorry. So unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back