Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Country
NZ
State
NZ
City
NZ
I found this very good and easy to understand paper about the classification of MND/ALS. You may find it helpful and it may assist you in understanding that a Neurologist is unlikely to diagnose ALS/MND unless it meets these criteria. The El escorial scale was developed initially for use in Clinical trials, but is widely used by neurologists in a general setting.

Its called: Motor neurone disease: clinical features, diagnosis, diagnostic pitfalls and prognostic markers by Sathasivam S and is attached below.

Attachments

• 5105ra1.pdf
    325.6 KB · Views: 5,580
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Aly.This article is so "chock full" of valuable information, I wish Al, Joel, or David, or whoever is responsible for Sticky's could make your post one.Any concrete knowledge we have about MND is so invaluable for research purposes, now and in the future.This one's a diamond.

"Compared to patients with an ALS variant, patients with PLS tend to present five to ten years earlier, have less limb wasting and bulbar symptoms during the course of the disease, and survive six to seven years longer.(19,20)"

intresting article alyoop,though i have never read the above info before.
i can still not understand how i have some hypotonicity,i was told and read it can happen after a severe acute umn lesion.

Good article. Lots of information. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back