Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
oh
City
orrville
I am scheduled for a swallowing study as I sometimes have the feeling l've aspirated on liquids and yogurt feels like it travels up into the nasal passage. I have constant post nasal drip. but the swallowing issues are not present with every swallow. From reading some of your posts it sounds as if swallowing/ALS issues in the beginning are not constant. If You are having a good day during the swallow test will it be of any value?

Let the SLP (speech language pathologist) know that you feel your problems are intermittent to a degree, and he/she most likely will try to stress you as much as is deemed safe, to see if problems can be recreated. They should be willing to work with you, as it is pretty much understood that all that is captured is a snapshot of the entire picture.

From my own experience, I've told mine that I thought I had more problems at some times than others, but for the test at least, from the very first bolus attempt the results were consistent (and not in a good way lol).

Ask for visual aids to help explain after you finish the test if possible. My slp has a cut away geographical plastic model of the throat, and it really has helped me to understand what the epiglottis, etc is supposed to be doing.

That said, if your test comes back A ok, then please believe them. Something will show up if there are problems.

good luck to you :)

I thought I should add that for me, I've always thought I had less problems than showed up, rather than greater. First time I was tested I'd insisted everything was fine, but it was not, and each time since, this has been true as well (in that I was not really conscious of the degree of change). This might not be the rule for everyone, but for me, the changes were so gradual that I did not notice a lot of it as it happened.

Rose,
Thanks for the quick reply and advice, I'll be sure and inform the tech. with the details.

Thanks again,

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back