Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
HA
City
None
I am new (first post) but have been a reader for a couple of months. My EMG report is in and it says "Findings suggestive of active > chronic neurogenic changes over the limbs tested". My nero didn't say much after our consultation the day after the tests maybe because my wife was with me. I live in Guam where ALS is (or used to be anyway) high. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Hi Guguy-- if you are able to scan and post your actual EMG results, a member named Wright who is very knowledgeable about the EMG may be willing to interpret them for you and give you some insight into what is going on. I do not think you can send him a personal message as a new member but if you get the results on this thread, he may see them and give you some info.

good luck-

Sandra

Thank you Sandra for responding. I believe that because I am a newbee on the forum I am not allowed to post attachments either. I have learned so much from this forum and the great members who share their knowledge and compassion. There is only one neurology clinic on Guam so getting a second opinion from an ALS specialty center is a heck of a long plane ride away. Thank you again.

I posted my EMG results no problem and I'm new. Do it like I did on my thread.

landofsmiles, I scanned the report now how do I attach it to my reply? The insert image icon asks for a URL. Thanks.

Go to Advanced and click the paper clip. The size of the file has conform to forum rules. Let me know if you have trouble

Or register an account on photobucket and upload it there then post the url here. That is how I did it.

joelc, When I click on the world with the paper clip it opens a window that says "please insert ther URL of your link". I must be doing something wrong.

It should say "upload a file from your computer" Are you sure you clicked on "Go Advanced” then clicked on the Paper clip?

When I click Go Advanced at the bottom left side of the page there is a box called Posting Rules and the third rule is "You may not post attachments"'. This is the problem.

I will post what my emg says and what tests that I've had and maybe someone can give me some insight. I have PSW in 9 muscles (3 in left upper, 3 in lower left, 1 in right upper, 2 in right lower). 8 are +1s and 1 is a +2 (lumbosacral spinal m, L4L5). I have +1 FIBS in 3 (maybe 4) mostly in the lower left. I understand that this is indicative of active denervation. All MUPs are normal except one which is increased in the left lower. Why I went to the doctor in the first place in May was because of unexplained weights loss after a car accident on April 1, 2010. I've lost muscle in both arms and now my thighs are getting mushy. I am 61 years old, male. I've had brain and cervical MRI, thyroid ultrasound, abdominal CT, upper GI, colonoscopy, endoscopy, abdomen ultrasound, nerve conduction, pulmonary function, stress test, heavy metal urine, GM1 antibody, and lots of other blood tests. Needless to say I'm not strong but I can walk, talk, eat for now. What was strange for me was I haven't had an apetite or thirst for months. In spite of this I was able to put back on (around my belly naturally) 12 of the 25 pounds that I lost. Unfortuantely there is no ALS Association here on Guam and only one neurology clinic. No relatives for support just me, my wife and 13 year old son. My wife thinks I am a hypochondriac. I feel that it is better to know your condition so that you can plan for future changes. I'm sorry that I am carrying on, maybe it is time to take my Zoloft. Thanks to all of the great people on this forum, your are my heros and especially the CALS.

I believe that I read my EMG wrong. It says I have a +1 in the cervical paraspinal upper right and upper left, a +1 of the right lumbosacral spinal and a +2 of the left lumbosacral. The remaining 5 are +1s (bradchioradialis, deltoid, gastrocnemius right and left and tibial anterior). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted for guguy...his EMG results>>>

scan0022.jpg

Hello Guguy

Moonmark sent me a PM indicating that you wanted me to look at your EMG.

First of all, you can tell your wife (of course, in the nicest way possible) that you are not a hypochondriac, because something is definitely going-on based on your EMG. As of now, you are actively denervating in all of those muscles that have psw's and/or fibs (as you correctly stated). The denervation is new (within the last few months) because there is basically a lack of reinnervation in those denervating muscles (with the exception of your left gastrocnemius), which would be indicated by MUP's that are large and/or long in duration. Reinnervation typically takes months to show-up on an EMG (denervation will show-up within a few weeks). Therefore, the denervation probably started at least after your accident. I'm not saying that the accident is causing the denervation, but it certainly must be investigated to see if it could be causing it. My guess is that your neuro will be giving you another EMG in a few months.

I noticed that you had many, many tests and some of them indicate that they would shed some light on whether the accident could explain the EMG: What were the results of those tests? Do you know if there were any abnormalities found in the nerve conduction study?

I'll keep an eye on this thread and try to give you any insight and opinion that I might have. In the meantime, be persistent with your phyicians to get the answers you need. Take care.

Greetings Wright, Joel, Landofsmiles and Moonmark, thanks for helping me understand this journey that is just beginning for me. The nerve tests showed; decreased amplitude on the right median motor nerve, right and left ulnar motor nerves, right and left peroneal motor nerves. Decreased amplitude on the right and left median sensory nerves with prolonged latency and normal conductive velocity at the wrist. Prolonged latency on the right and left ulnar sensory nerves at the wrist. Decreased amplitude and conductive velocity on the right and left superficial peroneal sensory nerves, median and lateral plantar sensory nerves. Decreased amplitude with normal conductive velocity on the right and left sural sensory nerves. This is Greek to me! Conclusion; Changes are suggestive of axonal > demyelinating symmertic, bilateral, distal, sensory and motor poly neuropathy. Unfortunately all other tests are normal. The next tests my neuro want me to get are spinal tap and a petscan. These tests can't be done locally so I will be likely going to the Philippines which is a 3+ hour flight from Guam. Thanks again for the information and translations from medicalease to plain english.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back