Learn about ALS
Country
DE
State
Germany
City
Frankfurt
Dear all,

I am new in this forum. Like many others you have already seen, I am concerned about some recent symptoms. I have fasciculations all over my body since 3 months and noticed that my left foot is slightly smaller than the right one. Also left arm looked a bit thinner than right. Not surprisingly, I went to neuro. He wasn't concerned about thickness differences. He did EMG on several upper & lower limb muscles and did a TMS. These were clean. Diagnosis: benign fasciculations.

So far so good. But my sound gets some days slightly lower in pitch, then it comes back in a couple of days. This happens for more than one month now. It could be subjective but one colleague at work has also noticed it on one day. Neuro was not concerned about this.

I wanted to ask people here that whether it is common to have all-body fasciculations without weakness at the bulbar onset als? Is there a test for bulbar onset ALS? I have read that tongue EMG is not very reliable and my problem is rather with voice than with the tongue.

Thanks in advance for your answers. I am very concerned and i have difficulty to focus on something else for 3 months now.

Raigo

Bulbar ALS starts with slurred speech followed by hoarse and slurred speech followed by no speech. Along with the speech problems come swallowing difficulties eventually leading to inability to swallow anything. These are problems caused by progressive lack of muscular control over the tongue, lips and throat. Difference in speech pitch was not something I ever experienced, my voice is as deep as it ever was, I just can't make any words.

I have never been bothered by twitching and don't put a lot of belief in them as a diagnostic indication of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back