Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
IRN
State
tehran
City
tehran
I,m a 39 years old woman and about 3months ago,I,ve started to have this strange pain in my left leg,inferior to my knee,the pain changes very much,sometimes dull,sometimes sharp and aching,sometimes burning sensation.after 1 month,my knee started to show problems too and my dc said i had chondromalacia patella but it is a result of the weakness of my leg,and today after many sessions of physical therapy,my knee and leg still hurts ,i cant walk for longer than 10 minutes.so far my blood tests ,MRI,bone scan,EMG,have shown nothing,and to top it all my calf,s muscle has shown signs of atrophy...can any one think of some way to find whats wrong with me ?could my symptoms be the early stage of ALS?

It is not ALS, with a clean emg, could be a pinched nerve or herniated disk, but not ALS.

chondromalacia patella- is degeneration of the carlidge under the knee cap....it is painful...
Were they giving you exercises too build up the muscles around your knee, the most important one being your quadricep...

It is not ALS, with a clean emg, could be a pinched nerve or herniated disk, but not ALS.

thanks for answering,it.s not herniatet disk according to my MRI,and I,ve heard that aclean EMG doesnt necessarily exclude als

chondromalacia patella- is degeneration of the carlidge under the knee cap....it is painful...
Were they giving you exercises too build up the muscles around your knee, the most important one being your quadricep...

thanks,yes I.ve been working on my quadricept for the past 4 weeks,but still due to weakness of the calf muscle, I cant walk very long and most strangely,only with high_heeled shoes !its almost impossible for me to walk with flat ones

You can rest comfortable that a clean EMG does eliminate ALS. That does not mean something can't happen in the future but for now you are clear.

You can rest comfortable that a clean EMG does eliminate ALS. That does not mean something can't happen in the future but for now you are clear.

thak you very much,it,s a relief...I have another appointment with my dc on wendsday(the neurologist not the orthoped)

When the neurologist is done with you, then you should know for sure.
I pray that he gives you good news. Keep us informed.

What you "heard" about a clean EMG not necessarily excluding ALS is completely, 100% wrong. ALS is a disease of upper motor neurons and lower motor neurons and the EMG will detect lower motor neuron dysfunction. End of story.

Furthermore, if you had muscle atrophy in your calves and your calves were needled during the EMG, then the EMG would have detected it. If your EMG was clean, then you don't have muscle atrophy.

I also got your public message about muscle atrophy and CPK levels in blood work. CPK will be elevated if a lot of muscle is being damaged quickly and/or continuously. Having said that, you can have elevated CPK for a number of different reasons, including rigorous exercise and failing kidneys to name a couple.

Finally, your story is not the story of someone with ALS. You got your diagnosis from your physician. If you don't trust that diagnosis, get a second opinion . . . and certainly get off of the internet and stop self-diagnosing yourself with deadly diseases when there isn't a shred of evidence you have it.

thanks for answering,my dc said he suspect some form of MND,actually post polio syndrom,but I never had polio for sure,and he was quite vague...I tried to know more about this pps,which sounded wierd and then my husband found about ALS ....my EMG was taken 2 months prior to the noticable atrophy ,and the unfortunate onset of the knee pain has complicated diagnosis for dc,because they say it should have answered to the therapy or at least to the massive amounts of the pain killers that they have been giving me

Hi,Cori,

I have been told by my neurologist that many cases of polio were so mild that the disease went unnoticed. Is everyone automatically immunized in Iran?

Sending you best wishes,

Lorna

Hi,Cori,

I have been told by my neurologist that many cases of polio were so mild that the disease went unnoticed. Is everyone automatically immunized in Iran?

Sending you best wishes,

Lorna

hi lorna...yes they immunize every one in childhood...no school will accept you without the full vaccination...and I think for many years now it has been almost eradicated...thanks for caring

hi everyone
I,ve done a new MRI ,this time with dye,I still havent seen my dc but in the report they have said there is a bulge around the area of L5 and S1...no herniated disc or deformity...I dont know what it means but I,m hoping for it to be the problem

cordelia

Cori,

Have you ever been diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease?This could possibly cause your symptoms.I've seen diagnosed as early as 35 years of age. You can have it, and not have a herniated disc.It will cause a lot of pain and problems.A simpler way to describe it is an "old person's back", but sometimes people get it young.I would think a high-grade MRI of your spine would be enough for a diagnosed. I would have a good orthopod review your MRI(if it is of the spine) now that you are having a bulge in your L5S1 area,especially. I would push to find out.That's definitely indicative of possible spinal compression of the discs that DDD causes.Usually though, it presents with lower back pain initially, but not always.

It seems like they would have been on to this long ago, but I just thought I'd kick it out there.

And FYI, an inversion board is the best way to decompress your spine,(not just now, check out the bulge, be sure it's not a problem)keep it young.

Cori,

Have you ever been diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease?This could possibly cause your symptoms.I've seen diagnosed as early as 35 years of age. You can have it, and not have a herniated disc.It will cause a lot of pain and problems.A simpler way to describe it is an "old person's back", but sometimes people get it young.I would think a high-grade MRI of your spine would be enough for a diagnosed. I would have a good orthopod review your MRI(if it is of the spine) now that you are having a bulge in your L5S1 area,especially. I would push to find out.That's definitely indicative of possible spinal compression of the discs that DDD causes.Usually though, it presents with lower back pain initially, but not always.

It seems like they would have been on to this long ago, but I just thought I'd kick it out there.

And FYI, an inversion board is the best way to decompress your spine,(not just now, check out the bulge, be sure it's not a problem)keep it young.

hi
no ,I have not been diagnosed with DDD...or at least not yet...however i was just wondering if a bulged disc could cause pain under the knee without any pain in thigh area...and if it can explain the muscle atrophy and weakness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back