Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
SGP
State
Singapore
City
Singapore
I read (or mis-read) somewhere that ALS predominantly affects Caucasians. Is this true? Any idea of ALS incidence in Blacks and Asians?

I don't think anyone keeps such stats because it's politically incorect. One thing I do know is that we've had members from most of the countries in the world. That could be even higher because not everyone in third world countries has access to computers.

AL.

What diff does it make? If you have it, you have it! Can you prevent your genetic make-up? And how many people know their real ancestory? I know my husband is Irish/German or he thinks he is. I am from multiple cultures, but considered "Caucasian." My husband has ALS, but I don't. In America, we have so many mixed peoples, it would be hard to put ALS down to Caucasian or otherwise.

I don't think anyone keeps such stats because it's politically incorect. One thing I do know is that we've had members from most of the countries in the world. That could be even higher because not everyone in third world countries has access to computers.

AL.
Actually I suspect if the data were available, such stats certainly would be recorded. I hope that when the US ALS registry is up and running, such information will be obtained. It could be quite important as is was with sickle cell anemia which affects blacks in the US in hugely disproportionate numbers. Asians and Caucasians are rarely affected. If one racial group has similar tendencies with ALS, it might provide a clue to cause and hence treatment as well as who should be more concerned about it.

I think I have come across some research on this topic a while back, will try to revisit. MND is well known in Asia, and then there is the whole story of Guam for those interested. D

According to the ALS association's website, 93% of the PALS in the ALS database are Caucasian. I have read elsewhere that it is more prevalent in white populations, but it's certainly found amongst a variety of ethnicities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back