US
State
Virginia
City
Chester
Anyone know why JeffP was banned?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Jeffp

There are a lot of posts that explain why. If you do a search you can read all about it.

Thanks I see it now. I only asked because he stated that his bulbar symtoms started with a lump in the throat feeling. Which I have been fighting for more than 2 months (although it has gotten better). I have not been diagnosed with anything other than benign twitches, so I was just looking for some some info to help other understand that a lump in the throat feeling is not always ALS. Mine comes and goes now (several times a day). I don't have trouble swallowing or speaking and in fact eating makes the feeling go away (which I understand means that I don't have any muscle related problems). Also antacids make it go away, so mine seems to be a combination of reflux, and anxiety. I just wanted clarification from him as to what his felt like. Oh well......sorry to hear he was banned.

Thanks I see it now. I only asked because he stated that his bulbar symtoms started with a lump in the throat feeling. Which I have been fighting for more than 2 months (although it has gotten better). I have not been diagnosed with anything other than benign twitches, so I was just looking for some some info to help other understand that a lump in the throat feeling is not always ALS. Mine comes and goes now (several times a day). I don't have trouble swallowing or speaking and in fact eating makes the feeling go away (which I understand means that I don't have any muscle related problems). Also antacids make it go away, so mine seems to be a combination of reflux, and anxiety. I just wanted clarification from him as to what his felt like. Oh well......sorry to hear he was banned.

I used to have the lump feeling too. I had neck pain way before ALS, and started going to physical therapy. They prescribed me a home neck traction unit. Problem solved! No more lump! Also, it feels awesome!

Phil was the lump your first sign?...was it related to als? i dont have pain....was the lump caused by the pain?

Might be acid reflux see an ent or try stomach acid reducer and see if if helps.
I had the swollen gland feeling when my bulbar started, acid reducer helped.

serenade, was the swollen gland thing constant? Could you relieve it by eating? I have had this for 2 months. it hasn't gotten any worse, in fact it is a little bit better. I take prilosec every day, and if I take mylanta or chewable tablets on top of that they relieve the feeling for a short while. Are you saying that reflux is a symptom of Bulbar ALS?

Phil was the lump your first sign?...was it related to als? i dont have pain....was the lump caused by the pain?

I'm not sure if it is a ALS symptom or not. I did notice it sometime before any ALS symptoms. Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Phil, What ended up taking you to the doctor for ALS? I have had this feeling on and off (but mostly on) for the last 3 months. Other than the lip twitch when I hold my mouth half open, and random widespread twitching, I don't have anything else going on. My speech is fine, and I can swallow just fine. however I am still concerned.....

I am now taking acid reflux medicine (liquid through my peg tube) as something we are trying to reduce the buildup of the phlem that I was choking on. I don't think that acid reflux is a symptom of bulbar ALS but it may be a result of it and in my case I wouldn't even worry about it if it weren't for the throat snot. I never had any acid reflux until just now, three years after my first symptoms.

Bulbar onset ALS has the following symptom presentation: slurred speech followed by hoarse and slurred speech followed by swallowing difficulties followed by complete loss of speech and swallowing ability. And after that (or concurrently) the limbs start to go. Oh and the drooling, can't forget that part.

Never had any lump in the throat feeling until I realized that I would never eat a cheeseburger again.

I once had a friend with severe acid reflux, my son-in-law has it also. What helped both of them is a teaspoon of white vinegar. Immediate relief.

Worth a try?

mhswarrior,
I don't remember if the swollen gland feeling was constant. I do know there is a flap that in that area that did not close right. You are better of seeing an ent they can tell you what they are seeing scope and what works and does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back