08/2010
Country
US
State
XX
City
where it's green
I really need some info to help my brother! It's been horrible. :-(

Main question right off the bat: do you need a referral to get into the UIC ALS clinic? He doesn't have insurance.

He started last November not being able to raise his arm higher than his shoulder. Then he fell in January and couldn't get up. That led to a diagnosis of cervical stenosis and he had surgery for it. He was not able to do the physical therapy due to being homeless and all he has done is get weaker since.

In April he was back in the hospital because he was weak and had numerous tests. They diagnosed neuropathy. He was to the point where he could not lift either arm past a certain point and can put no weight on his arms, like trying to hold a walker, because he has no strength. He was having some trouble walking. Right calf stiffness.

The hospital sent him to a nursing home, even though he is only in his late 50's. He has deteriorated since. Now, he cannot get out of bed by himself, and he cannot stand up by himself without someone standing him up. He can barely walk. He cannot sit up in bed by himself. His speech is fine. And breathing.

About 2 weeks ago he got worse - he said his right leg was turning to dead weight. He said he was weakening. (to what is described above) before that, he could at least get to the bathroom.

The nursing home was waiting for his medicaid to go thru before getting him to any other doctors. But with his worsening condition, I had them take him to the emergency room and they admitted him. He had a CAT scan and MRI which were "normal". Supposedly he has had and EMG and the NVR and they were normal.

They recommended he go to the als clinic but would not refer him because he has no insurance. Now he is back in the nursing home, waiting. I am very concerned that he will get weaker and die before they can get him into some place that can willing to diagnose him. And treat him? Maybe it isn't ALS?

I live in a different state, and this has been horrendous because it's only by cell phone that we have any contact. If he starts losing his ability to speak, I don't know what I'll do. I feel like he is falling thru the cracks and I can't stop it.

CCJJCC,

This is a horrifying story. Don't nursing homes in the States have access to social services?

ND

He's in Illinois. There is a doctor that comes in and sees him. But they were "waiting" for funding to go thru because he needed to see a neurologist and have an MRI. That got accompliished by having him go to the ER and get admitted.

"Social Services" is medicaid which isn't approved yet.

If he doesn't qualify for medicaid I don't know who does,I live in Illinois & my husband went to Uof I Chicago,he was not happy with the doc there but they have alot of docs..He still doesn't have a diagnosed & it's been 4 yrs. God Bless your brother & I pray that he get the help he needs really soon.
Sharon

MDA/ALS CENTER AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO
(312) 996-4780
(312) 413-5780 FAX
E-mail: [email protected]
Julie Rowin, M.D., Director
Neurosciences Center, Room 4E
Outpatient Care Center
1801 W. Taylor St.
Chicago, IL 60612

The MDA paid for my husband's visit when he had no insurance. You need to contact the Ill. chapter and register him. Also contact the ALS Assoc. (they may be able to visit the nursing home and provide needed equipment from the loan closet until he gets approved for Medicaid).

Good luck to you and your brother.

Brooksea,
Thank you.

MDA - is Muscular Dystrophy Assoc, right? How do I "register" him? What if he doesn't know if he has MDA?

I have the address for the ALS clinic, I will check the ALS assoc

MDA is not just for Muscular Dystrophy...

MDA fund raises for nueromuscular disease research and clinic visits (and they used to pay partially for needed equipment), ALS included. I would contact them to see if they can help. Either one of these organizations should be able to point you in the right direction for help, I hope!

Thank you, I will try them in the morning...:-o

Hi ,Dr Rowin was the neuro that my husband saw at UIC she was very definite that he had myasthenia gravis cut & dried she then proceeded to do single fiber EMG in legs & arm it was negative,so she wanted to do it in his forehead & temple area & it was negative too, so she told us she didn't know what was wrong & maybe go to Mayo Clinic. We can't go to Mayo at this time so we are back just seeing his reg neuro.God Bless everyone.
Sharon

Sharona,
It sounds like a nightmare what you have been thru...
I live in Illinois & my husband went to Uof I Chicago,he was not happy with the doc there but they have alot of docs..He still doesn't have a diagnosed & it's been 4 yrs

4 YEARS? My brother is set up to see Dr Jiang

Hi ,Dr Rowin was the neuro that my husband saw at UIC she was very definite that he had myasthenia gravis cut & dried she then proceeded to do single fiber EMG in legs & arm it was negative,so she wanted to do it in his forehead & temple area & it was negative too, so she told us she didn't know what was wrong & maybe go to Mayo Clinic. We can't go to Mayo at this time so we are back just seeing his reg neuro.God Bless everyone.
Sharon

Unbelievable! I thought at the ALS clinic, they were supposed to "keep testing" until they find out what is wrong. So after 4 years, it doesn't look like your husband has ALS, right? but he sure has something wrong.....my brother has a thyroid issue too, and thinks he may have Hashimotos, altho I don't think so from what I've read. He DOES have thyroid issues tho and is supposed to go to an endocrine clinic at Stroger. But also he has stenosis and had surgery for it. Then the weakness started.

Thank you guys for your replies, I really appreciate it.

Plus, I know some other people who took a relative to Mayo clinic and said it was a waste of time and money.

My brother saw a neurologist for a year who couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. The Dr's best guess was MG. Finally, 3 months before my brother died they transferred him to the Mayo Clinic in Jax, FL who told him in 2 days he had ALS.
I've never quite understood how I see some people diagnosed with it before they lose the use of anything and why my brother was 90% paralyzed and needing breathing machines to stay alive before they could diagnose him.
The late diagnosis likely robbed of him much needed help that could have made his last year and a half a lot better than it was.

Just throwing that in mainly because of the Mayo comment. I've heard lots of good things about them diagnosing ALS quickly for people and they were able to do in 2 days what my brother's neuro couldn't do in a year.

Yes, I got the Mayo comment from someone else who took a relative there. It doesn't mean they aren't good.

I'm hoping the ALS clinic in Chicago will be able to find out what he has, since he doesn't have the means to go to Mayo.

He is determined for it NOT to be ALS, I hope he's right.

So, my brother went to the UIC clinic last week and they told him he had ALS but didn't
give him anything in writing. He is to go in again in November to "see how his breathing
is".

He hasn't been having any breathing or speech problems, or swallowing issues.
He isn't convinced it's ALS. (but it sure is something neuro related, if not).

Wouldn't it be wise to try to get something in writing? It could help get his SS approved.
Also, I want to move him to my state, but need to check on some more things here,
because I don't want to get him here and have no where to go with him.

It's either that, or I have to move where he is, if I want to spend time with him. He can't
walk anymore and has arm trouble.

ALSO, the doctor said she put in an order for the nursing home to do range of motion, it's been
at least a week, and my brother said they are NOT doing it.

If they TOLD him he had ALS, he can get his medical records and apply for SSDI. Please try to advocate for him, in case he is unable to for himself. SSDI is TERI for pALS. (terminal - no cure - approval) You still have to wait 5 months for Medicare and 6 months for SS. But, that's better than 2 years or more.

The doctor has a set of codes on a sheet of duplicate paper, so the patient gets a copy. I can't remember the code for ALS, but if he was told it was ALS, look at the discharge paper given to him. (The one with all the number codes and a check mark made by the doc.)

I'll see if I can find the code. You don't tell someone they have ALS without backup paperwork. Neuros are not THAT stupid. (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back