Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
WV
City
Fairmont
My sister has had leg weakness and stiffness in her feet for about a month now. She has definitely been identified with Babinksi's reflex, and based on all of research I've read does that mean that she has signs of both upper and lower nueron damage? Her doctor is still running a lot of preliminary tests and I realize that the diagnosis for this type of disease is varied and exclusionary rather than definitive, but it seems that based on her symptoms she can only have a few choices for diagnosis? She shows no upper body or speech problems, only the weakeness/stiffneed and hyperreflex. Can anyone give my some advise about what may be going on based on your own experiences? I am extremely scared right now as I had no idea about the severity of this type of disease before this.

Stiffness is not a symptom of ALS. Weakness is. There is a big difference betwen the two. I have no idea what might be going on, sorry. Only a good doctor and possibly a neurologist will be able to identify what is happening. I wish you good luck!

It is the Babinski sign combined with the weakness that has me the most concerned, as based on all of my readings here and elsewhere there isn't much else that matches up with these symptoms. Her blood work has ruled out things like anemia, and now just waiting for EMG.

A Babinski sign may be indicative of upper motor neuron trouble. Lower motor neuron problems may be the cause of muscle weakness but there could also be many other causes. An EMG would be helpful in determining if there is any lower motor neuron death occurring.

Give the doctors time to do all of the testing that is required for a proper diagnosis.

In the meantime, it would probably be helpful to believe the problems are due to something that at the least is treatable and best, curable.

Hi Guys & Gals,
Larry has had pos babinski & brisk reflexes for over four yrs with muscle weakness & they still don't know what the hell is wrong with him.They have done every test in the book & then some all we ever hear is motor neuron disease, emg's are clean muscle bx clean.he has B12 def but gets shots every month,So don't get crazy with worry it won't do any good just take one day at a time that's all were promised from God .THE PRESENT.God Bless.
Sharon

Thanks to everyone for the replies and information. My info gathering at this point is a matter of "hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst." That's just the kind of person I am, I suppose, and I feel better armed with all of the possibilities, even the dire ones, especially with a disease as hard to pin down and predict as ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back