tatsu15

Country
US
State
Hawaii
City
Honolulu
Hello

Hope all is well. I haven't been on in awhile. Trying to move on with my life and ignore symptoms but lately I have been some twitching around the web of my thumb and pointy finger. It twitches really fast like a pulse and I feel pins and needles while it's twitching super fast and my thumb feels like it's locking up. It stops after 30 minutes but I notice it's starting to happen to me more and more and this has never happened to me before. Is the thumb stiffness the start of als (it's twitching super fast!).

As I type it's happening on both sides of hands now. Is this normal? Can anxiety really trigger super fast twitches that don't stop? And make my thumb joints feel tight? It looks like I have parkinson's... that kind of twitching.

Anxiety is likely the cause. It is not ALS.
Only a qualified doctor can tell you what is causing that problem but you can put ALS out of your mind.

Hello

Hope all is well. I haven't been on in awhile. Trying to move on with my life and ignore symptoms but lately I have been some twitching around the web of my thumb and pointy finger. It twitches really fast like a pulse and I feel pins and needles while it's twitching super fast and my thumb feels like it's locking up. It stops after 30 minutes but I notice it's starting to happen to me more and more and this has never happened to me before. Is the thumb stiffness the start of als (it's twitching super fast!).

Not in my experience, and my first overt symptom of ALS was a partially paralyzed thumb on my left hand. Never had any twitching or cramps in it -- it just stopped moving in one direction and never has moved that direction since. Early on, I was able to move it in other directions, but over the years, most of that movement has also gone. My thumb has never been stiff. It just doesn't move.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much trfogey and Joelc. I am scheduled for a neuro visit this Friday and hopefully get some answers. I am feeling quite exhausted (almost beyond exhausted).

Trfogey?

Sorry that you among anyone else has to go through this. I honestly dont know what to say except, sorry.

May I ask how long after you noticed you couldnt move your thumb was it before other symptoms were obvious and what they were?
Thanks

Oh, Forgive me, Tatsu, I have so much on my mind, I meant to type you a message as well.
I wouldn't worry so much, although I understand, its easier said than done. Relax, honestly, weakness such as Trfogey described, a paralysis type is really the hallmark sign and first symptom of ALS.
Twitches mean absolutely nothing and the more you think/worry about them, the more you will get.
My Dr told me that he sees patients that are so worried about ALS and twitches that the little twitch in the thumb, arm, eye , wherever, will actually turn into full body twitches because of the anxiety of thinking its ALS related. He also said, without weakness, its not ALS.

Hope that helps.

May I ask how long after you noticed you couldnt move your thumb was it before other symptoms were obvious and what they were?
Thanks

Distinctive atrophy in a couple of forearm muscles was visible within a couple of months. I began to have trouble straightening the fingers on that hand within six months. By that time, I had already had a dirty EMG and had a diagnosis of possible ALS. Still had some limited use of the hand two years later.

My right hand took a similar, but slightly faster course. First symptoms were in the fingers rather than the thumb, though. Now, I operate my computer using my feet and some specialized software.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for that information Trfogey. Bless you! Keep going! You are an inspiration. All that you add to this board by replying to so many posts, to think you are using your feet to do so, truly amazes me, so Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back