Diagnosis
11/2006
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Fairfax Station
I'm really scared that I have ALS...I'm only 18, but my dad had ALS before he passed away a few months ago..

Over the past few days the muscles in my arms and sometimes my neck have been tight constantly, to a point where it almost is uncomfortable and I have trouble getting to sleep.

Also, after basketball practice a few days ago my left middle finger began to twitch for a few seconds. That was when I initially began to fear ALS and I'm hoping that this is all in my head..

Any help appreciated

Yes, it is all in your head. Those are not signs of ALS.

Relax.

Twitching after excercise is normal. Make sure you drink plenty of water. Also you would need weakness. If you read my previous post (A good read if you are scared), it tells you the same thing. What you describe sounds like stress. Talk to some one about your feelings and I bet you will feel better.

I am really sorry to hear about your father. After experiencing that, it is no wonder that you would fear it for yourself. You are surely just fine; you didn't say your dad's ALS was the familial version. So the odds of it striking you, and at 18 to boot, are practically non-existent. Try to let it go,

Lydia

After what you experienced with your Dad I can see how anxiety can creep in to every cramp and such.

It sounds to me that maybe you pulled or strained a muscle which would account for the twitch as well.

Keep playing!:wink:

Poor Dear, stop worrying and live. When you exercise, begin and end by drinking plenty of water. Eat well, don't take drugs and enjoy your life. We are truly sorry for your dad's condition and the cause of his death. You have been through a shocker. I hope you can get past it. It's difficult, but the best bet is not to borrow trouble. If you ever have serious symptoms, go see a neurologist and believe what he tells you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back