Other
Country
US
State
-
City
Veluwe
Goodday,

Since a couple of weeks my voice breaks (crackling) on and off. From time to time it harsh.
Am I having bulbar symptoms?

Elise x

Elise, bulbar ALS usually starts out with slurred speech and the slurring is normally quite pronounced before any hoarseness. Have you seen a doctor about this?

Good day Barry,

Yes, I went to my doctor because I was having twitches. I've had them all over for 2 years and did not think much of it. But I mentioned it to my doc. He checked B12 but it was ok. I googled for twitching and came up on ALS.
Doctor send me to neurologist who gave me a clinical. He said reflexes are brisk but said he didn't think it was ALS because of no weakness.

Now for the past weeks my voice breaks on and off, this makes me think it maybe could be bulbar related.

I don't know much about ALS therefore I posted this question. Is this voice thing a reason to go back to the neurologist?

Elise x

If your neurologist didn't see anything then there is likely nothing to see. If it persists then you might want to see an ENT first. Like I said, anyone that I have heard of that has a Bulbar onset ALS diagnosis experienced slurring at first.

Good luck!

If I were you, I'd go back to my primary care doctor and let him take a look at your throat. There are a lot of things that can cause hoarseness in your voice besides bulbar ALS. If your primary care doctor thinks your throat problem is nerve-related, he'll refer you on to the neurologist.

In the meantime, give yourself a break and avoid using the Internet to try to figure out what's wrong with you. There's a lot of incomplete information out there that will scare you to death without a doctor to interpret it for you.

I went to an ENT a couple of months ago because I had swollen lymph nodes that didn't go away and we have cancer in the family.
He hadn't found anything at that moment. Also swollen lymph nodes are gone it was probabely an infection.

Mr trfogey: like you said about info scaring the death out of me. It seems full of contradictions. I try to remain calm and to stay of the internet but it's difficult

Elise x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back