Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
LA
City
West Monroe
Hi all,
I've posted before and got some pretty straight answers, but I've since developed a very scary new symptom. I will try to keep this as concise as possible...... Things started with a feeling of numbness down my right arm and hand. This is just a feeling as I have no actual loss of sensation (could this be weakness). I then developed a pretty pronounced head tremor and occasional involuntary head jerk. Now I've developed widespread fasics that are mainly concentrated in my left calf and thigh.
I had a clean EMG and nerve conduction study about 7 mths ago. I've been tested for MS(all MRIs clean), lupus, lyme, thyroid, myasthenia, and vitamin deficiency.
I see a general neuro every 6 wks, but I won't see him again until Aug and these fasciculations just began about 2 wks ago and I just don't know if I can keep it together til then. I also feel like he doesn't take me seriou because all prev tests have come back normal and I get very weepy in his office. I am a 34yo female. BYW, these fasciculations are making my legs sore and I'm unable to exercise. Any insight would b appreciated and I thank you for your time.

Amye

I forgot to mention that these symptoms have been present for about 11 mths. Right now I am on a family vaca with my sweet husband and two precious sons ages 5 and 2. I can't even enjoy because I'm so distraught. The last 11 mths have been hell. Again thanks for listening. Amye

Hi Amye. First of all don't worry about fasic's. You're stressed so for sure, they''ll show up. Soreness in the legs doesn't point towards ALS. None of your symptoms point towards ALS. The arm numbness could be a pinched nerve. Can you get something to calm you down until the Aug. appointment.

AL.

Al,
Thanks for your quick response. We have ruled out pinched nerve mainly because I get the "numbess" in my face also (same side) and it seems to b spreading to the rest of my body. I realize that u r not a MD but do u feel a repeat clean EMG should let me put ALS fear to bed? I do have faith in my neuro but I don't know how much MND he's seen. He practices in a small town in NE louisiana.
Thanks again
Amye

A repeat clean EMG should put your fears to rest if you let it. The first clean EMG should have put your fears to rest, but it hasn't. HUGS Lori

Lori,
You think that the fact that the EMG was 7 mths ago before I started to have some of these sx would make a difference? I just keep reading all this conflicting info..... MND can/cannot start with sensory issues, diagnosed with clean EMGs, sore muscles are/aren't part of ALS. I'm not even sure my neuro knows much about all of it. When I mentioned it he said "If u had ALS, the fat pads under your thumbs would b depleted.". WHAT? They've just tested me for so many things....4 brain mri, 2 spine mri, every antibody u can think of, heavy metals, thyroid, I was even given a tumor marker blood test in the off chance it is paraneoplastic syndrome. Just runnin out of places to look. I even wonder if all of this could b from longterm Prozac use affecting dopamine production. I took it for 10 yrs straight and off/on for 5 yrs before that.
Al and Lori, thanks for taking the time to respond. HUGS right back to you.
Amye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back