Reason
PALS
Country
AUS
State
WA
City
WA
Hello, everyone. Well, here I am, having finally had the tests I've waited three months for. The emg was "I don't see anything that convinces me you have als - any abnormalities could be put down to your age". MRI was OK. The neurologist, who specializes in motor neuron disease, showed concern about my continuing symptoms, cramps, fasciculations, dropped left foot, arm weakness, but said he could make no diagnosis at this time and to see him again in six months. I expect he wants to see if the symptoms progress.
This is more or less what I had expected, after reading all your posts. I understood before I went in that diagnosis was a long drawn-out process.
Having just been through all this, there's a comment I want to make in defence of all those who have clean emg's but find it difficult to believe they don't have als. I've been curious about my own reactions and have been trying to analyze them - why didn't I feel more relief? I think it's that with such a long wait for the tests, we spend a lot of time trying to protect ourselves from a bad diagnosis by preparing ourselves for the worst. (I learned all about bi-paps, pegs, etc!) When you're told you don't have it, it takes some mental adjustment. It's really odd! I find it's taken me a few days to realize I can start planning ahead again.
So it looks as if I am one of the lucky ones. Even if it's something progressive, it doesn't appear to be als!
I thank you all so much for all the information I have received on this site, and for the understanding I now have of als, and of how so many of you find ways to beat it, in mind if not in body.
Love to all, Joan

Interesting insite to the newly unDxd for us who do have the DX. When we see someone gets cleared of this disease, we can not understand why they are not jumping for joy and celebrating. Good luck, spread the word about ALS, and don't be a stranger. You are welcome here anytime. HUGS Lori

I was only thinking about how you were going last night as I remembered you were having your tests in July. Glad to hear you have a clean emg and my sincere best wishes for you.

Thanks

Chris

Joan -

I am very happy to hear the EMG was clean. That in itself is wonderful news. Please touch base periodically so that we know how you are. Take care, and I wish you the very best.

Joan,

Well that is good news! You do have a long road of being undiagnosed ahead of you, but that EMG will make it a lot easier to travel.

Lydia

Joan, I'm very glad for your not having ALS, appreciate your insight about how the undiagnosed feel, and hope your journey will be made easier. There is such an emotional tension when you still cannot find out what's going on. Best wishes for your future, and I hope there is an answer out there for you. Thank you for your report!
Ann

Joan,

Congratulations on the good news!

Hopefully in the next six months, you'll get better, or at least have problems more clearly defined so that an answer is in your future.

As to why you may not feel as much relief as you would expect?

In my opinion, we, as a human race, name things. We have names for almost everything. For an example. regardless of which language we speak, as an adult, we know the word for "tree". When we see a tree, we may even know what type it is.

We know what a lion is, and a deer. When someone says there is a lion coming our way, we know we should take action. A deer, not so urgent.

But, if someone were to see a large tan colored animal approaching, and did not recognize it, or know what name it has, then how do they know how to react?

How does a person cope with facing a nameless animal, especially when it could be dangerous? And so the person tries to find out, but meanwhile that big tan animal keeps circling, and inhibits the person from living their life as they've always known it up to that point.

If an expert reassures this uncertain person, being circled (stalked?) by the large tan animal, that it is certainly not a lion, the expert does not know what it is, but its not a lion; the person will feel a degree of relief, for sure. BUT, will that make him/her want to go pack a picnic and go out into the field where the unknown animal is still trampling around? For most people, probably not.

Really like that analogy Rose.

Thats good news Joan,

Rose has written a reply to you, and others so much better than I could.

I know its still going to be hard in the coming months until you find out just what is going on but now you can cross one thing off your list.

Enjoy life and don't be shy re here, pop in and see us from time to time.

Cheers
Peter

all i can say is that is great

I thank all of you for your good wishes, so much. Especially you, Rose, for putting it all so clearly. I know I'm not out of the woods. I can't expect the progression just to stop. The main thing is that lovely quotation again - live today as if there is no tomorrow. One thing I am now able to lose is that occasional feeling of sudden panic that I'm going to go suddenly downhill and die before I'm organized and ready. (Though of course at my age I should be ready anyway.) Love and hugs to you all, Joan

Joan,
So glad to hear the good news. I hope you get more clarity as you continue to work through your symptoms. The not-knowing and seeing physical problems takes a toll. Rose's insight is profound as well.
Peace,
Melody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back