Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Chester
Since I am a very analytical person and have had ansiety related to ALS fear my research side has helped me get over the fears. First of all the stasctics show about 2 per 100,000 people get ALS. Not only is that less than 1%, but it is 1/500th of a percent. i have also read about 6.7% of those people have bulbar. That works out to about 1/7500th of a percent. Basically that means your chances are EXTREMLY minimal. Also the Hallmark signs of limb onset are weakness or atrophy. If you don't have those STOP WORRYING! For Bulbar you would have speach and swallowing problems as Hallmark signs. Please don't do what I did and try to find "people like you" The information is not complete and you will not get the whole story from a couple sentence post.

If you are like me (I am 31 year old), then the chances are even more unlikely. I have BFS (which I believe is caused by anxiety). I also have globus Sensation which is either from GERD or anxiety (which are probably related).

I can't say tht I don't slip back into the panic mode periodically, but I have found that excercise helps get rid of that nervous energy. Once you slip down the dark side it takes time to get back. Allow yourself time to mentally get past these thoughts. Distractions help to. Find something to do. I know that people will go through what I did and it is frustrating for both you and your loved ones, but please try to relax.

my last bit of advise is something my neuro told me. If you had a MND of any kind you would know something was wrong and that would send you to the doctor. this all started for me with Bell's Palsy which scared the crap out of me, but one thing to realize is that I knew something was wrong. I couldn't move half of my face. If you have muscle twitching and have been to the neuro and he didn't see weakness, and you are not slurring words or choking when you eat let those feelings go. You will enjoy life much more! Plus chances you have ALS even if you have some "symptoms" is still
VERY low!

Last edited:
Congratulations for digging yourself out of the "Do I Have ALS" hole. Maybe your words will help a few others along the way.

If I had a dollar for every perosn who thought they had ALS, and we all were sure they did not.. And they did not. Well I would have a lot of dollars to donate to David for the fourm.

Another point for young people: I read statistics recently that 80% of cases under 40 are male. Yet I'll bet 80% of the under 40 worried people we get here are women. So if you are female and under 40, the odds in your favor are even that much better.

Another point for young people: I read statistics recently that 80% of cases under 40 are male. Yet I'll bet 80% of the under 40 worried people we get here are women. So if you are female and under 40, the odds in your favor are even that much better.

It would interesting to see a breakdown by age as to how many cases of ALS in people under 40 in general, but under 30 in particular turn out to be familial, as opposed to sporadic, in cause.

Not that I actually believe that the any statistical information is going to change the minds of the vast, vast majority of the under-40 folks we see in this forum, but it would be nice to have better data for the ones who haven't padlocked their minds yet.

Not that I actually believe that the any statistical information is going to change the minds of the vast, vast majority of the under-40 folks we see in this forum, but it would be nice to have better data for the ones who haven't padlocked their minds yet.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your comment; however, to those 40 and under (such as myself) who have been diagnosed those most likely inaccurate and unreliable statistics mean NOTHING.

dp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back