Reason
Other
Country
US
State
SC
City
Orangeburg
Do any of you have pain? And if so...can you tell me where and what it is like....I am trying to get info from the people who would know the best what the symptoms are. When you read info on the net it all conflicts.....and I have seen posts that state there is no pain at all associated with ALS and I would find that hard to believe since your muscles are wasting away....I would think other muscles would have to compensate for them and be strained and therefore cause pain. I would also think this would have to create joint pain with out support from wasting muscles. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Linkster:D

interesting name! lol

Sounds like answered you own question linkster. It's painful when the muscles cramp also. But there are medications to help with this.

Are you undiagnosed?

You might get cramp pain but joint pain is usually farther along.

AL.

I get mild ones in the neck, but the sharper ones seem to go straight to the ol' gluteus. Seems to be related to times of stress.

My husband gets pain in his arms, neck, throat, shoulders and legs. Was prescribed patches the other day, but when he read the side affects it stated they weren't to be used if there were any breathing problems! Thanks doc.
DX, Sept 2009 P.B.P A.L.S.

I have a lot of pain, but it is in areas of a pre existing ailment. ALS is just compounding it. So what is your solution Linkster? I get the feeling there is more....;^)

I have increased pain due to als because I also have the neurological disorder called cervical dystonia. Before als I was always in pain and regular naps during the day were the only cure-all. As my muscular strength is decreasing due to als, the addtional strain is transmitted right to my cervical area. I now spend alot of time in bed.

Thanks for all your input sorry for the delayed response on my part. I am not diagnosed and I am seeing Neuro on july 29th which I am sure will start a battery of tests. This all began a couple years ago and they were searching at that time for MS and I did not meet the "criteria". Now I have limb weakness, myoclonic jerks in left shoulder, cramps and twitching all over, its clumsy when I walk or pick things up and stairs or walking up an incline is near to impossible. There is also a tremor that comes in goes in my right arm which seems to be more present when I move it a certain way. Of course my first visit with my new GP here jumped all over Parkinsons since he saw the tremor and in all fairness it could be. This not a detailed list of all my symptoms just a quick over view. I recently relocated from VA to SC about 7 months ago so I am starting all over with Dr.'s which might be a great thing. I am just look for some info on a couple different forums from people who deal with these issues everyday ....since we all know you guys understand the symptoms way better than the Doctors do:smile: Talk to you soon oh and Phil my real first name is Dawn lol

OOPsie forgot to say my GP here had MRI of brain done immediately ....all clear wondering if a lesion of the spine could be possible.

Hi Dawn, Sorry you had to find us. I thought you might be a spammer since you posted your question on the critter pic thread. I stand corrected! lol...Welcome to the site! Like you, I find it hard to believe too, that there is not more pain involved with ALS. I guess its a good thing. ALS is bad enough without the pain! I have been dealing with neck pain for almost half my life from a ATV accident I had. I always thought it would turn into something worse since it never seemed to have healed. Long and behold, I end up with bulbar ALS! I find it ironic that my ALS started so close in relation to my injury.

ALS is creepy because usually ther is little pain

Did he do a MRI of cervical or lumbar region? My doc did all the areas to check. The brain is were the lesions for MS show up. I have stiffness, and muscle soreness especially the areas with atrophy, they get sore and also problem with other muscles compensating for loss of others.

My wife has experienced cramps and pain throughout her illness. At this point, she has pain in her hands, arms and shoulders and sometimes in her chest. The pain has intensified over the past two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back