Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
new england
City
new england
Hi, I am a 40 yr old woman. I started having twitching about 5 or 6 months ago. It started in my right calve. I was not to concerned with it for a while but, now it is nearly constant in the and it on bottom of the foot too. And the two smaller toes at time contract downward. Weird contracting feeling on the boot of of my foot. It is uncomfortable. Also, for some strange reason the arche on the right foot is very ached! More then the left foot. Is that Atrophy? I do get some twiching elsewhere but not as much. And my forearms hurt and kind feel like muscle contacting at times. I have a appt with neuro doc next week. I am terrified right now. Any information would be so helpful to me. :?::sad::?:

Twitches by themselves mean nothing. pain is not normally associated with early ALS. Don't fall into the trap of trying to get an internet diagnosis. Try to relax until you see the Neuro.

AL.

Hi, I am a 40 yr old woman. I started having twitching about 5 or 6 months ago. It started in my right calve. I was not to concerned with it for a while but, now it is nearly constant in the and it on bottom of the foot too. And the two smaller toes at time contract downward. Weird contracting feeling on the boot of of my foot. It is uncomfortable. Also, for some strange reason the arche on the right foot is very ached! More then the left foot. Is that Atrophy? I do get some twiching elsewhere but not as much. And my forearms hurt and kind feel like muscle contacting at times. I have a appt with neuro doc next week. I am terrified right now. Any information would be so helpful to me. :?::sad::?:

Thank You for the response. I know that I need to relax. I would like to know what you think of the strange high arch on the affected foot?:?:

I'm not a doctor and just how high is the arch? Different things can cause muscle wasting but I'm not suggesting that your high arch is muscle wasting. What looks high to you might not look high to the doc.

AL.

There is a complete differance, left foot just sort of curves at arch. While right foot is sort of hollowed at the arch. Very clear differance in appearence.:?:

So let us know what the doc says. Try to have a good weekend.

AL.

Update...I went to neuro today, I called and begged to be seen. He said very little and said the foot my be atrophy? As far as the pain and twitching, he said it could be something harmless or something SCAREY! Made appt. for EMG, it is July 19th. I don't know how I will be able to wait that long. I feel pain even while driving short distance. Arms ache and the twitches are awful. I don't know how to handle all of this. I have 3 children and feel terrified! I know so many of you will understand. Any advice on how to deal with this frightening wait?:(:(:(:(:(:confused:

When I was frightened of receiving a scary diagnosed, in the days leading up to the results of my tests, I made sure I spent as much time as I could doing enjoyable things with my son and daughter. I made sure not to sweat the small stuff. I know it sounds like a cliche. I thought to myself these might be the last days without some cloud hanging over our heads and I wanted to make the most of them. As it turned it, I haven't received any diagnosed at all and that was 2 years ago. I keep trying to live the same way and am grateful for the lesson. I know this is going to be a hard couple of weeks for you but you will ride it out, and probably be stronger for it.

Lydia

Thank you Lydia. I know you are right. But, I keep looking at them and thinking how much I Love them and who will care for them! I am trying to deal with this and am not doing well. I feel like it is the begining of the end. Thank you so much for your kind words.

hello it took over 2 years for me to be diag. and my dr. kept saying i was getting better but i wasnot. a new dr came in one day and said no you donot just have throat or vocal cord problem, something wrong. then with help from my daughter i got a appt for a neur who deals in als and sch.a emg at the same time . i almost jump up and hug him . someone was listening. my husband was angry i was not diag earlier but like i told him it wouldn't have change anything i would still have it and there is no cure . the onlything i got by leaning i had als was satisfaction of knowing i wasn't nuts that i really did have something more serious than chronic sore throat my advice is try not to worry if you have it,you have it and if you don"t you can have a party and invite us her at the forum. iwill be praying you donot have it and we can all party with you(virtual party)

Well, I was able to get a appt. for the EMG sooner. It was to be on the 19th and now it is tomorrow morning. So scared. I need to know and do not want to at the same time. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Will they be able to tell me right away? I am not afaid of the EMG just the result. I realize that I still may not know WHAT it is after But, will I know what it is not? Any info would help me. Thank You all again.:(

I heard my EMG was fine by the neuro who did it, before he left the room. This was not my regular neuro. Depending on how your neuros communicate or the procedures they follow (is a different one doing the EMG?), you may hear results right away or you may have to wait for the follow-up appointment. If they make you wait, DO NOT assume it is because of bad news (ALS diagnosed). I am glad you are having it tomorrow. At least THIS part of the waiting game is almost over.

I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

We did have to wait for our results. If they do tell you it's clean, then NO ALS. Good Luck! HUGS Lori

Hello Everyone, I had the EMG today...it hurt more then I expected.The neuro said it looks normal. He then said he would like to see me in two months to make sure! OK now I want to feel good about this but, the return in two months! Even if there is relief, I still would like to know what is the cause of my problems. Has anyone else had this experience? I also want to thank each of you for trying to help me during this very difficult time.:confused::cry::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back