Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
CA
City
Fremont
I'm very worried that it's ALS, but I don't want to tell my dad, and his primary physician has not had any diagnosis. My dad's going to see a neurologist in UCSF.

So it started about half a year ago, and my dad just felt tired, and had weakness in his wait, abdomen.
Then slowly, he started losing strength in both of his arms, more on the left. He's dropped about 30-40 lbs in the last half a year. There's also some muscle twitches here and there.
Although, I don't think he has much trouble in his legs, but he does get tired very fast. Everyday after work, he would come home and just sit on the couch, tired.
So his primary physician did a bunch of test and everything seems to be normal, except elevated CK levels.
Recently, he's starting to have shortness of breath as well. So I'm really worried...

I mean, what else can it be?
:sad::sad::sad::sad:

Well there are a few things that come to mind. TB, cancer, tapeworm, and that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many other diseases that have those symptoms. Try not to worry until he see's the neuro. If he says it's ALS then you have something to worry about. Although worrying serves no useful purpose. Good luck. It could be something treatable.

AL.

i agree with al it could be numerous other illnesses that cause those symtoms .i pray to god its a curable illness and all will be alright godbless

Good Morning Flyindarkness!

Please listen to the previous posts from other forum members. Try not to worry yourself sick. I know you probably will, but try not to. Has your dad seen the neuro yet? If not, when will he be going? Please keep us posted on any new news.

Take care, and have a blessed day.

yeah.
It's als. he saw the neuro, and got a EMG.

=/ not much we can do at this point.
Although we will keep a positive attitude.

flyindarkness- so very sorry to hear about your dad. now that he has a diagnosis, you should post in other parts of the forum where people with ALS and their caregivers can help you with very valuable information and support that you will need through this journey. A lot of the PALS and CALS do not read this part of the forum and they will want to help you and your family.

hang in there-

Sandra

Sorry about the diagnosis, flying. I didn't really think he'd have it from what you described. I hope we can help with support and information.

AL.

Dear Flyindarkness,
So sorry to hear about your dad...we're here to support you all as much or as little as you need.
Peace,
Melody

There are so many wonderful people here that will take the time to answer any and all questions that you have. Literally. I am so sorry you will be heading down this path. Know that you have the love and support of so many people on this forum. Don't hesitate to ask anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back