Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Plainview
Hi Folks,

Thanks for taking the time to listen. I will readily admit that I do have a degree of health anxiety. Here are my symptoms, can anyone let me know if they believe it could be ALS? Thanks so much.

About two weeks ago I began having tingling, cramping and twitches in my right foot. That has quickly developed into a sore/tight right calf, sore/tight right hamstring, and some perceived weakness and a "dead leg" feeling when walking. I am also having significant twitching in my right calf and hamstring, especially when sitting and lying down. Some twitches are also occuring in my left leg but not as often as the right.

I went to a neuro last week and he detected no muscle weakness, felt it was premature for an EMG, and "didn't see any twitching". Blood work and a sonogram for a DVT were negative.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks for your time.

M

In addition, the neuro told me to call him in a month to provide him with an update as to how I am feeling.

Thanks again.

Call him in a month and provide him with an update. Until then, stay off Dr Giggle. Unless you are age 45 plus you probably do not have ALS. ALS does not present itself in a months time span, and you can worry yourself sick, or go on with your life.

ALS does not start out painful. It just sneaks up on you.

I second keeping a log of whats happening , and make another appt to see the doctor.

You do not have ALS.

Glen

Call him in a month and provide him with an update. Until then, stay off Dr Giggle. Unless you are age 45 plus you probably do not have ALS. ALS does not present itself in a months time span, and you can worry yourself sick, or go on with your life.

Thanks so much .. I am 48. Trying not to worry but its hard for me.

Folks,

You were so kind to me when I posted a month or so ago that I was hoping for more feedback. For just less than two months, I have had twitching and a "heavy leg" feeling in my right leg. That has not improved. In early May, I had an odd incident where it felt like I had jammed my right shoulder, by the next morning my entire arm was stiff and painful. The pain has faded in the right arm but I now continue to have an odd feeling of weakness in that arm - of course its on the same side as the "bad" leg.

Anyway, I had been seeing an acupuncturist (an MD) for a year or so for headaches and he suggested an EMG of my leg "just to be safe". I said OK, hoping that all would be clean and I could get past my anxiety. Unfortunately, the EMG-NCV came back "abnormal" and of course that threw me into panic mode. One item of note is that my feet were very cold during the exam - the Dr. asked me if I was diabetic - but he went ahead with the test without warming the feet. This particular doctor is not a great verbal communicator but the written report indicated (1) "Chronic lumbar L4 radiculopathy bilaterally, L5 radiculopathy at right side" and (2) "Peripheral neuropathy involved in motor nerve of lower limbs. Further study of Upper limbs is suggested."

Via my brother-in-law (who is a doctor), I was able to get in to see a reputable neurologist almost immediately thereafter (end of May). He specializes in EMG's and of course was most likely aware of my health anxiety issues. He performed a full neurological exam and told me I had great range of motion, no clinical weakness, that the findings of the prior EMG that was performed didn't "hang together" with the actual results of the EMG, and that my feet being cold probably produced poor results. He didn't see the need for an additional EMG based on the exam and the prior EMG. He told me I most likely had sciatica in my right leg and "tennis elbow" in my right arm and that if I needed additional reassurance I should come back in. I took him at his word, felt better about things, and that was that.

Unfortunately, in the past two weeks I feel as though my symptoms have gotten worse. The right leg, while not weak and with no visible atrophy, seems to fatigue easily and still feels heavy when I walk. I have had relatively consistent twitching in my right calf as well. My right arm, as I mentioned, has a slight perception of weakness to me. And for the past week or so, I have been experiencing burning/cramping in both thighs.

I am trying to go with the sciatica/tennis elbow diagnosis but I am not a particularly patient individual so I continue to worry.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry for what you are going through, I totally understand all the anxiety and frustation.
Have you had any MRI's of your C-spine (neck) or L-spine (lower back)?

Hey Mike--

If I were you, I would ask your newer doctor to perform another EMG, especially considering he questioned the results of your first one.

Folks,

Unfortunately, in the past two weeks I feel as though my symptoms have gotten worse. The right leg, while not weak and with no visible atrophy, seems to fatigue easily and still feels heavy when I walk. I have had relatively consistent twitching in my right calf as well. My right arm, as I mentioned, has a slight perception of weakness to me. And for the past week or so, I have been experiencing burning/cramping in both thighs.

I'm no doc but I was once scared as hell form weakness (that turn out to be perceived) and twitching.... one thing I learned is that fear an anxiety can produce very solid sympthoms.

Mike I know it might sound odd but what you're telling can be produced by estress and fear. Don't rate your health by "feelings" or you'll drive yourself crazy. Bare in mind that you got to have clinical weakness to have ALS. That's different form perceived weakness; what is ussually present in benign fasciculation syndrome (as fatigue is)... so try to relax and trust your doctors. Get a second opinion if that is gonna help (I'd get a second oopinion) But make word to yourself to be calm if they say you can be calm; draw a line somewhere....

sorry about my english

Hi Mike,
There are a number of ailments that mimic one or more symptoms of ALS, a lot of which are treatable. I totally understand the anxiety in waiting for a definite diagnosed, it's horrible!
Maybe seek a second opinion if the neuro didn't convince you. I got 7 different opinions, unfortunately all diagnosis matched.

For the anxiety, look into L-theanine (an amino acid found in green tea), worked for me!

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back