Please, I can use your help, My husband.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzy

Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CO
City
Denver
I realize with als, It may be harder to make fine hand movements and they may require more mental concentration to perform such as buttoning small buttons.

When this is meantioned, is it meant to be said in ONLY one hand?

Both my husbands hands AND fine motor/hand movements are harder? Both his legs feel stiff/weak/tired too? He says when he is opening a sandwich baggie for instance, because it requires fine motor skills, his hands feel stiff. Everything feels bilateral?

All his muscles feel the same. One limb is not worse than the other.

Would this be typical of ALS or does ALS ONLY show itself, in one area?

Many Thanks for all your support.

I am young and don't know a ton about ALS, that's for sure. However, from what I gather, generally ALS begins in ONE limb then progresses. Additionally it tends to start at the end of limbs, such as hands, foot etc, then moves upward.

Hope this helps.

did everything feel like this at the same time or was it progressive

shizzy,

I have the same question - was this progressive. Most of the pALS I've been in contact with have had symptoms such as my husband's in that it starts in one place and moves slowly on from there, with the exception of having bulbar symptoms along with everything else.

Right now my husband really has no use of his left hand, as the strength is almost completely gone. That's where it started simultaneously with bulbar symptoms. Now his right hand is just hanging on. Mind you the atrophy and weakness went from left hand up arm up to shoulder, then right hand atrophy and weakness from hand up, etc... This has been over the course of 4/5 years. Of course, all pALS progress at different rates and have different areas affected at onset.

I guess we need to know how long this has gone on with your husband and is there atrophy.

Smutz, Tdmass & Brooksea,

Thank you,

This has all manifested at one time. It has not progressed. He says the more he uses his muscles the worst they feel. He gets a little relief after resting. Sounds like MG but the Dr said it will mostly affect the eyes, swallowing & then theres the clean emg.

I guess time will tell.

Thank you all for your patience

it does not sound like als thank god --- he would have a dirty emg ... good luck

I am still signed on, Thank you once again Tdamess,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back