Were those of you who had weakness diagnosed with Emg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzy

Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CO
City
Denver
Hi,

Im not sure where to post....

My husband is going through a strange situation & would really be appreciative if those of you with a Diagnose can tell me if you found out about your als diagnosis from an emg & how much of a supporting factor the emg is. (realizing there are many reasons for a bad emg) Has anyone been diagnosed with als with a clean emg? Can a nuero give a diagnosis with a clean emg?

Would anyone be willing to share briefly, your symptoms that led you to the Nuero & how much impact the emg had. Were repeat ones neccessary to flollow up with a prior clean one?

Many thanks to you

I was origianlly diagnosed with ALS almost two years ago, now my diagnosis is Monomelic Amyotrophy. The emg is critical to the diagnosis of ALS and also Monomelic Amyotrophy and any other lower motor neuron disease. The emg must accompany a matching clinical exam and the exclusion of all other possibilities. Has your husband had an emg?

Yes, Kansastom, He has had an emg....He has stiffness in his hands, arms for a year, brisk reflexes, absent babinski, hand weekness, can't move thumb to ring finger. The Emg was normal.
The DR is NOT ruling out als at this time. I am confused.

Please someone respond!

Can you give anymore info about your husband's symptoms. Sure sounds like PLS from the info presented. Just my two cents though.. Anymore info

My left leg had atrophy, this lead me to get a physical and my emg was dirty the very first time. A clean emg rules out ALS. I don't have any experience with upper motor neuron symptoms. Has he been to the MDA clinic, they were a big help for me.

Hi shizzy and welcome to the forum.

I normally dont reply to a lot of these threads in the do i have ALS? subject as my knowledge is limited in the area. However as you asked nicely i will.

Others will either correct me or back me up in what i am going to say.

There are several different types of MND, ALS being just one of them.

One of the rarer ones PLS is not picked up by a "dirty" Emg. It is done by other observations.

In my case i had being showing signs/ symptoms that somthing wasnt quiet right for app 1 1/2 years or so before before i saw a Neuro.
Conclusion I had Parkinsons. (had a MRI etc)
1 year later, saw a second neuro, more tests MRI etc.(5 days in hospital having them)
Conclusion I had MND but the PLS version of it.

so 2 clear MRI's, still lead to a diagnosed.

I hope this helps

Peter

Last edited:
Thank You Peter, Hopin & Kanstanson,

I appreciate your feedback. I very much do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back