Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
State College
Hey everybody.

First and foremost, I want to be perfectly clear about one thing, I am indeed a hypochondriac who suffers from anxiety as well. I am only 18 years old, and this has really manifested itself in the past year or so.

Anyway, about a month ago while driving, I started experiencing a pain/numbness/tingling type of thing in my right arm and shoulder. It hasn't gone away since. In addition to that, recently I have been observing twitches in my right arm from time to time. Maybe I notice it 3-4 times a day. Also, my thumb was twitching on my right hand, it did it maybe 2 or 3 times and hasn't occurred in a few days. I have a bone cyst in my right humerus, but the pain hasn't really been occurring where the cyst is located, so I have assured myself that the pain is not from the cyst...additionally the cyst is only 1 cm, and I have been told it is no big deal.

So, I am an 18 year old on Prozac who has convinced myself that I have various diseases, from MS to a brain tumor...you get the picture, I am a psychological mess. I have been lurking these boards for a little over a week lately, because I had a hard time bringing myself to post this on the board, because I know that many people on his board are really suffering. However, I think if I could get reassurance from folks who have experience with ALS it would really ease my state of mind...

Thanks in advance everybody, and God bless.

Dear Smlutz,

My dear, you need to NOT be lurking about on the ALS Forum. You will just feed the hypochondria beast and make yourself more and more anxious. I know from personal experience in my own family, that anxiety can cause twitches. I would encourage you to talk to a therapist (if you don't have one, get one) to help give you some strategies to manage your anxiety and learn how to redirect your thoughts when you start stressing over various health concerns.

If the pain/numbness/tingling doesn't go away, go to the doctor so they can run some tests. I pray you get the help so you find peace and health.

Melody

Smultz; the folks on this board are very kind, but they're really not here to reassure hypochondriacs. You don't have ALS. Seriously. You're 18 and you have a couple of twitches? You have no idea how many people would do anything to be in your position; be grateful.

Please do yourself a favor and stay OFF the internet as much as possible, especially for medical info. Don't go to any ALS or MS boards. The mind is a powerful thing and being nervous about symptoms can actually cause them. Live your life.

HI smlutz--

I posted about this in detail on another thread, so I won't elaborate further here, but I would like to recommend a book to you called Phantom Illness: Recognizing, Understanding, and Overcoming Hypochrondia, by Carla Cantor.

Good luck-

Sandra

I hope your pinched nerve clears up soon!

It could be from a spider bite. Your flesh might turn black and start falling apart at the bite area, though. Not to scare you but spiders can inject a neuro-toxic poison in your body that can cause every symptom you are experiencing.

Please don't let this send you into any kind of hyper-hypochondriac spell.

Breathe deep!

Geez Zaphoon, why don't you tell him the bubonic plague and polio are making a come back as well!

I would have but mercy kept me from it.

Thanks Melody, Andy and Sandra.

Smlutz. You don't have ALS. Go away and enjoy your life.

AL.

I have been on Prozac for a little over a month now, and just came across an article about SSRI's being harmful to motor neurons, which would cause the twitching. I don't believe I have any type of atrophy though...wonder if I should talk to my doctor about stopping the Prozac.

No, SSRI's are not harmful to motor neurons. Imagine a medicine that helps with depression but impairs your ability to move. Umm, NO!

Did a psychiatrist place you on Prozac? If not, you should go see one plus a psychotherapist (e.g. psychologist).

Just curious, did the pain/numbness/tingling/twitching start before or after Prozac?

It allstarted before the prozac. I have a hard time describing my symptoms in my arm accurately...I don't know if numbness is an accurate way to the right way to describhe it. I think its my muscles, like it seems like they're getting tired much quicker, and it just doesn't feel quite right...I don't think iits ALS I just don't know what the hecks going on, but this isn't the right place for me to be posting.

Smultz,

The physical ways stress and anxiety can show itself in our bodies are mind boggling. The fact that it all started BEFORE the prozac is another indication that your symptoms are anxiety driven. I watched my step daughter have twitches and weakness throughout her body...all caused by an anxiety disorder and depression.

You are young. Get focused on learning the strategies to manage your anxiety and stress so that you can ENJOY your life! You will have to work at it diligently, so stay focused.

Stop worrying about ALS/neurological damage. It's just a waste of time and a distraction from what you should really be focusing on.

Peace,
Melody

Please do not stress over this....you do not have ALS. I do understand your fears and axiety...this is a disscusting, horrible disease that I wouldn't wish upon my wost enemy. However, the chances of anyone getting it are very slim...it is SOOO rare and even more rare for someone your age. I know how it feels to be able to talk yourself into anything though. My mother had ALS for over 11 years and I am always very sensitive to every twitch, sensation or slight sense of weakness. It is easier said than done (trust me I know from experience), but just RELAX. I have conviced myself I have ALS a few times now because I will have one "new" or weird symptom....and then since I am stressing out so much I get more and more symptoms. Your mind can really play tricks on you if you let it. Trust me, once you settle down, things will quit happening. I suggest you read the newest "sticky" on this forum. It is about EMGs, atrophy and weakness, but he really sheds some light on actual ALS symptoms. My mom used to tell me the same sort of things when I was stressed about things...if you had ALS, you would have a lot more than just twitching and sensations like you are describing.

Also, if it is a common thing for you to worry about such illnesses, see a professional about the hypochondria. Just talking to someone on a regualr basis and having some coping resources could really help you in the future if you get another issue that comes up.

Lastly...and I have to remind myself of this daily as well....live your life to the fullest! You are a healthy, young person. Do not take for granted all the good things you have. You have your health and that is a really big thing. A lot of the people on this forum have very dibilitating diseases and some still seem to live better and more optomisticly than us healthy people do! That is not right...don't waste your life worrying (and I will try not to either) and just appreciate your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back