Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
London
City
LOndon
Firstly my apologies if I am wasting anyone’s time or assuming stupid conclusions.

I am posting this on behalf of my wife. 5 months ago in November she began experiencing stiffness in her right forearm, this slowly spread throughout her arm from hand to just above the elbow. This was followed soon after by a burning sensation throughout her arm. In February the toes of her right foot cramped, experiencing numbness although this could be alleviated after a short walk. From March her legs became heavy and she began experiencing spasmodic muscle pain in her lower legs . In the last couple of weeks the burning sensation has spread to her left arm.
Our GP has admitted she doesn’t really know what’s going on and we have insisted on a referral to a Neurologist, due to see him next month. I should add that she has lived with Myasthenia Gravis for the last thirty years although she maintains that none of these symptoms are related to her Myasthenia.

Should we be worried that this could be the start of ALS or are we being stupid?

Never stupid to ask questions. Ask the doctor, and keep a daily log to show him when you go in. And ask questions. HUGS Lori

Lori's advice is excellent. Keep a log so the doctor can see how her symptoms show over a period of time.
Prayers for clarity and Peace!

Piskip I wonder if she is on Mestinon? Her symptoms could possibly be in reaction to the medication. I believe that sometimes atropine is prescribed for some of the Mestinon side effects. Did her GP rule out side effects to meds? After long term use of many medications side effects can happen. Best of luck getting answers.
Laurel

Yes Laurel she is on Mestinon. We did wonder about possible long term side effects but quite frankly our doctor was next to useless. Hopefully the Neuro will be able to provide more. Yes she is keeping a log of her symptoms in her diary. Remembering what we went through with her Myasthenia diagnosis I think we might be in for a frustrating time.

Hi piskip. Sensory issues such as you describe are not usually associated with ALS. Try to keep an open mind and see what the docs say.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back