Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Lake Worth
Hi everybody so first I want to give you a background on me. I just turned 27 im 210 pounds. I workout 5 times a week (free weights) and run 3 times a week. I admit im kind of a hypochondriac. I am very sensitive to any change in body and I go right to the internet to diagnose.

Here is the reason why I came here. My symptom is in my right quadricep. Last thursday i was at the gym and it jsut felt like it lost a little bit of stamina compared to the left quad. I did strength test and i dont think it is any weaker just starts to "burn" quicker. I didnt work out over the weekend and I started back up on monday. Still have the same symptom it may have gotten a little better but still has less stamina than the left. I do have sciatic pain and lower back pain that does come and go. I cant see and atrophy and i dont think I have any twitches but I am kinda waiting for it to start.

I just want some opinions and what you think I should do as far as when I should see a doctor.

Thanks!

Dear TattooGuy,
Bless your heart for making yourself crazy with Dr. Google...PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, and stay away from self diagnosis...especially if you have a tendency towards hypochondria.

There are a ridiculous number of things that could be causing the change in your R quad...including the acting up of your sciatica. Get off the internet, chill out a few days, and if it doesn't clear up, then go to a doctor to get it checked out. I'm not a doctor, but...NOT ALS

Peace to you

Tattooguy -
I've been wanting to say this for a long time so thanks for giving me this opportunity. This is actually more for the people on the forum than for you in particular - here goes nothin'
I understand wanting to put a name on symptoms. However, often the PALS and CALS on this forum (in my humble opinion) come off a little harsh to people who come here seeking information to put a name on their symptoms. I understand that because my Dad's ALS went misdiagnosed for over a year and others suffer through symptoms for quite a long time without getting a definitive diagnosis.

That said, Tattooguy, I think if you're concerned, you should go see your family doctor. But, sounds to me like you might have over done it on the workout. I know you said that you're a bit of a hypochondriac, but your "symptoms" seem atypical for ALS (at least in my professional medical opinion - LOL). Here's the treatment I prescribe, stop searching the internet for a diagnosis and just go to the doctor.

Jenn

Why are you waiting for twitches? If you think them, they will come.

Hey Jenn,

Thanks for the reply. I get how people can get annoyed with people coming on these forums and asking about every little symptom. i just wanted some info and see what my next step would be. I just get alot of anxiety reading stuff from google. I know If you type in any symptom you get everything from cancer to als to a vitamin defficientcy but its still scary. Last night I was having an anxiety trying to measure my thighs making sure they were the same size haha. I guess im just looking for some comfort. I dont want to scare anyone I know over something that might not be

Hey Sadiemae,

I know this its just my personality. thanks for the reply though :)

Hey Jenn,

I wrote a reply but it didnt work for some reason. Anyways I am just looking for some comfort and someone to talk to about my worries.

My biggest worry is that I dont think most people would notice this slight loss in muscle stamina and that this could be the early stages.

What symptoms do you have that make you think you have ALS. A slight loss of stamina? Get fifteen more minutes of sleep and eat an extra energy bar before you work out.

Highly, highly, highly, highly doubtful that you have ALS. I'm sure it's easier said than done, but stop the worrying, it will only make you "sicker." Just go to your doctor. Isn't that much easier than putting yourself through the anguish of a self diagnosis? Besides, if you are a hypochondriac, your doctor will be happy to see you coming back over and over and over again. Maybe he/she will be able to go on vacation from seeing you alone. LOL... sorry, I couldn't resist.

I guess my only symptom would by my thigh feels different than the other. I know it sounds crazy. What kind of symptom would be something serious?

Jenn haha the only thing is I am scared of doctors. Ive passed out giving blood before.

Dear TattoGuy,
I would strongly encourage you to NOT over analyze your symptoms. The symptoms you're experiencing (muscle weakness in R quad) could be a gazillion things, including your sciatica acting up. Given your awareness that you have a tendency toward hypochondria, please...for your peace of mind, stay away from the internet.

Give yourself a few days, see if it gets better, and if not, check it out with a doctor. In my NON-CLINICAL opinion...doesn't sound remotely like ALS. ....and (I'm noticing your other posts) stop "looking for serious symptoms"...ALS is VERY rare, and usually a long, tedious diagnostic process which requires ruling OUT every other possible disease.

I hope the responses to you give you some peace of mind, and help you let go of this worry

Peace,
Melody

You are what we call "stuck between a rock and hard place."
I couldn't agree more with what Melody posted. Let go of the worry, take a few days off of the workout, and if it's still bothering you... suck it up and go see a doctor.

Hey Melody,

Thanks for the response. I know i should just wait and see if it gets worse then go to the doctors. Its easier said than done in my case :)

In situations like yours (informed, anxious/tending toward hypochondria...)we are sometimes our own worst enemy.

Peace to you. Try to give yourself the self talk to stay positive and move on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back