Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MN
City
Andover
First of all I don't know if I have als or not and my heart goes out to all of you who are fighting this nasty disease. I have a question about my tongue. Lately it has felt tird as if i've been licking stamps all day or something. It mainly feels this way while eating. it get's tired easily from moving food around in my mouth.It is mostly toward the back of my tongue (not the tip) and i haven't felt any kind of fasciculations or anything. I don't think it feels weak, more like it gets fatigued easily. I have no speech problems but I am concerned and I don't really know what it is. I am concerned it may be als but i don't really know the process by which als effects the tongue. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

:Thank you

I am not a doctor and, although I have ALS, I have yet to experience ALS symptoms in my mouth or throat. That having been said, I have been led to believe that the usual initial symptom of ALS in the mouth is slurred speech. Your symptoms, therefore, are not a typical starting point for ALS, but if you are concerned about this problem with your tongue, you probably consult your primary care physician and see what he/she advises.

Good luck to you.

TMJ (Temporomandibular joint) problems can cause tongue fatigue. I've had problems since I was a teenager where anything that requires extensive tongue movement causes my tongue to fatigue. While for me chewing is fine, certain other activities are unbelievably tiring.

I have bulbar ALS and in my own experience (and everyone I have talked to here and at my clinic) symptoms start with slurred speech, not tongue fatigue or perceived weakness. Speech is an incredibly complicated process involving the throat, tongue, lips, nose and lungs so it is almost always the first sign. Check with your doctor, cause I am not one, but it doesn't sound like ALS to me.

People who have Myasthenia Gravis sometimes describe the feeling you do, although more often it is the act of chewing that tires them.

Thank you all very much for your responses so far! I appreciate all of your input. I will continue to pray for the als community. GOD Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back